Feedback on "Goldfish Coupons and Forgotten Love" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Goldfish Coupons and Forgotten Love"

By julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Goldfish Coupons and Forgotten Love" by Grace Coberly is a sweet, reflective piece that reminisced about how growing up can change people and relationships. In the article, Grace describes her participation in her old school's event and the memories is has for her. She runs into another alum, Landon, and while he knows her name, he shows no remembrance of their close relationship. Grace explains, "my memories somersaulted into view, dusty and untouched" as she recalls all the times she and Landon shared together. 

It is with a some sadness that she realizes both of them have moved on and she doesn't wait around to talk with him.  

Grace leaves Landon and goes to work at the fair. The first person to succeed at the game asks, "When can I get the fish?" of a goldfish coupon he has been rewarded with. Grace answers in a last, reflective line, "Whenever you want, but don't wait too long. Those things expire." This line packs a meaningful punch, subtly hinting at her experience with Landon and how it was fun while their friendship lasted, but "expired" when they grew apart, never to reconcile. This point resonated with me, as I too have had experiences where past peers or people I used to be close with have drifted from me as well as the memories we had shared.