Fair and Balanced? | Teen Ink

Fair and Balanced? MAG

Until about eight months ago, I didn’t care much about the war in Iraq. I trusted that the president would make the right decisions and accomplish what we set out to do. I wouldn’t say I was a war supporter, but I wasn’t against the war. Recently, I’ve been thinking about it much more and wondered what we’re really doing over there, and if we are accomplishing anything.

The event that forced me to pay more attention to the war was my brother enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. When he started talking about it I thought it was a phase he’d get over, but it was not. Despite not wanting my brother to enlist for many reasons, I have supported him the best I can. The thought of him going to war is scary, and I try not to think about it, but it’s hard not to. It is especially difficult when you hear so often that another Marine has died in Iraq. My fear, however, is overcome by my pride. My brother has sacrificed so much and worked so hard; I admire his bravery and toughness. I think what he is doing is incredible and as long as he has no regrets, I’m happy.

All in all, I am a supporter of the war in Iraq and feel that the world will be a better place when it is over. My brother’s unit plans to deploy to Iraq in October, and all I know is that I must enjoy the time I have with him. I have no doubt that my brother will return home safe, but no matter what happens, he is a hero, and I could not be more proud.