WTC Memorial | Teen Ink

WTC Memorial MAG

The December opinion piece “WTC Memorial” was appalling, though I completely agree with the author, Scott, when he asserts the importance of helping victims of Hurricane Katrina, and the need to fight poverty and disease. Americans are generous with their money, but if they made a donation to help cover the cost of a memorial at Ground Zero, then they should have full confidence that that is where their money will go.

I am sure that those who wish to donate to homeless shelters and victims of disasters will do so. This should not detract from the fact that there is a vital need to erect a memorial to the fallen heroes of 9/11. The notion that building a permanent memorial would be using an object to heal loss is bogus. The terrorists who attacked our country were trying to destroy iconic buildings that represented freedom, liberty, and security. By successfully bringing down these buildings, the terrorists, and the regimes they fought for, believed they were victorious in striking fear into the hearts of a country, causing anarchy and corrupting independence and other ideals America stands for.

By erecting a memorial and new buildings at the site of the attack, America will prove to those who hate freedom that this country is strong, courageous, and determined. The fortitude that a memorial will exude will be proof that buildings can be destroyed, but not our country. Nothing can heal the loss of September 11 but a memorial would be a tasteful way to remember our Americans who exhibited the virtues of this country even in the face of terror.

September 11 was a catastrophic day in American history that will live in infamy. I cannot fathom why anyone would believe that a memorial for the 2,752 who died in New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C. on that grim day should not be erected.