Feedback on Party Culture and Feminism | Teen Ink

Feedback on Party Culture and Feminism

May 22, 2019
By YukiFeng GOLD, Staten Island, New York
YukiFeng GOLD, Staten Island, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Party Culture and Feminism” by Noah Tunis discusses the problem we face as a society when it comes to sexism. Tunis realizes how he and his peers, female and male, subject themselves to the patriarchy. He himself was unaware of how he took advantage of the system and the fact that many still uphold an outdated system. “The guys” are the central point of this system and Noah shows us that in the article, “They controlled all the power and tilted the scale in their favor, helping out buddies and making exceptions where needed.” He describes how sexism is so normalized that people don’t even realize they contribute to the issue. Fortunately, Tunis is working to correct his views and future actions, showing fellow readers that it is okay to transition from ignorance to an educated person fighting against societal issues. It is okay to do better.

I remember the first time sexism hit me. I was waiting for the train with my mother and I watched a young man walking up the stairs and a girl making her way down. As they crossed paths, his hands quickly swiped from his side to her rear. My eyes widened when his fingers ran along her butt, but he withdrew his hand and ran up the stairs. I held onto my mother’s hand as he disappeared around the corner and the poor girl was left violated. I can still remember her wiping at her tears.

It is so important to teach your kids to be respectful towards everyone. Tunis realized why his actions were wrong and when to call out his friends for their remarks. However, there are still many others that need to realize the effects of their actions and why it’s wrong. Everyone can learn from Noah Tunis. He realizes the need for a change. He realizes that other minorities aren’t asking to be considered superior, but just to be considered equal. As he said, “If you’re not with us, you’re not working proactively.”