Dear America | Teen Ink

Dear America

By graciej09 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
graciej09 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Dear America," by Isabella Ng, is very captivating as it includes a guy and girl perspective of trials and tribulations they face as American citizens.

As you begin to read it, the words slowly morph into reality because the topics are very current in today's society. From school shootings, deaths, immigrantion, sexual assualt, to coming to the land of the free, it's very easy for me feel like I'm on the same plane as the author. Topics like these are usually  hard to write about but Isabella does a fantastic job of tieing all these events together.

After each short paragraph, she ends it with a minute poem that always start of with how America failed to up hold their promise. Their promise to bring security and portection to its citizens, their promise to be the land of the free, are stripped away when evil people think its to bring harm upon others.

I think she intentionally includes s/he because people can easily see themselves in that situation. Not limiting it to one specific person or event really unites everyone. To me, as I read it, I didn't feel alone knowing that there are more people out there worrying about the same thing.

The best take away is that being American comes with a long battle no matter who you are. It's about the fight to make being america stay true to its national slogan and up hold those rights for everyone because we dont want to be living in a physical irony.