Feedback on | Teen Ink

Feedback on

February 4, 2019
By bionichearing BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
bionichearing BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
you good? no you not. you not baby, and it’s okay. you not good and it’s okay. you don’t need to be good all the time - it’s okay to not be good.


 “Midnight Drive” by Jordan Gust is a short yet detailed scene of an encounter with someone from the narrator’s past. It describes a family's Taco Bell outing, with all the nostalgia inducing dialogue of sibling rivalry and too much shouting. Near the end, the narrator catches the eye of a boy she has been “trying to forget”. Without giving too much unneeded backstory, Jordan is able to make the reader feel just how hurt the narrator has been by this boy.

 I enjoyed this short story because of the simplicity. I can most definitely relate to the occasional late night fast food drive through with my family - annoying siblings and all - so the relatable factor in this scene drew me in. Although the story begins in a lovely, joyful tone, the transition from that to the more somber mood was what really makes this scene remarkable. Jordan was able to take a normal, seemingly boring thing and turn it into something worth reading, and that is why I love this story.