Feedback on | Teen Ink

Feedback on

By aliciaa-xl SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
aliciaa-xl SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“I Am a Revolutionary” is a powerful memoir written anonymously about LGBTQ+ youth in schools. The writer talks about her personal experiences and events she’s witnessed in school that were heart-wrenching. These things make her a revolutionary because she faces issues of the LGBTQ+ community everyday and she will not back down until change is made. At the end of the piece, the writer lists discriminatory actions and its effect on the mental health of LGBTQ+ individuals. It only further tells the reader of the irrational and immoral treatment of the sensitive youth who are doing no harm and urges for change. She crafts a moving essay for the reader by talking about sensitive topics, such as self-harm, not only to hit the readers hard, but also show that she isn’t afraid to speak boldly for what is right.

The issue is very personal to me. I’ve questioned my own sexuality before, and although I’m not certain about it, I still believe strongly in LGBTQ+ rights. My parents and other family have often scoffed at the topic and relied on their traditional ways, but they only refuse to understand it. “I Am a Revolutionary” let me understand how I’m not alone, and the fight for LGBTQ+ rights is brutal.