Feedback On | Teen Ink

Feedback On

December 10, 2018
By upsidedown GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
upsidedown GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Home” is a beautifully written poem that describes the memories we leave in our homes and how attached we can become to a location. The author describes how her whole life has been spread out over this house and how walking through it brings up vibrant memories of the past. She calls it a glitch that the house has. As if it is a computer that deletes all your work once you’ve finished, bringing you back to the start again. She is a fantastic poet who pours her life into these short lines. It feels like she’s leading you through the house and I think this poem is her struggle to cope with the idea of moving or growing up.

This poem’s theme is incredibly important to those going through drastic changes in their home lives. I relate deeply to this theme as I just moved from the apartment I’ve lived in for eight years to a new home. The poet talks about her “Heart sprinkled on the walls, hidden in the / cabinets,” giving the beautiful description of her body spread throughout the house. This truly shows how important a house can be to us, our whole life laid out in its rooms. This poet uses breathtaking imagery to describe the mournful theme of leaving behind a beloved symbol of your childhood.