The Fruits of Loving Your Roots | Teen Ink

The Fruits of Loving Your Roots

By graciej09 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
graciej09 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

I felt really touched after I read Sarah Saeed article, "The Fruits of Lving Your Roots" because most of my friends are refugees that have left their hertiage behind in order to blend in with today's society. Sarah is very brave as a child to have to face ignorant response from people who streotype her into being in a category that she isn't. I learned that poeple get scared of things they can not comprehend, and tear others down to make themselves feel better. It makes me so frustrated that she cannot even follow her religion because she is afraid of being religiously prosecuted. In America we have rights to believe in whate ever we choose and no body should be able to take that away. So, when I read that she "wrapped an American flag scarf around [her] head," instead of hijab i find it to be very ironic. The flag stands for freedom, yet we the people are so shackled in our own mindset that we are not even living by those standards anymore. Also, I think her social expieremint is very powerful and a great way to learn to love what you are. If being you makes people upset than mabye its not you that needs to change but them.