The Love of Dogs | Teen Ink

The Love of Dogs

March 14, 2017
By Anonymous

Have you ever seen the bumper sticker that says, “Who rescued who?” It is referring to the wonderful impact dogs can have on our lives. People tend to have very intimate connections with their dogs who altar our lives in many ways. There are 70-80 million dogs that are owned as pets in the United States. Ironically, dogs rescue humans. Furthermore, some individuals rely on their dogs for their needs. Lastly they can provide psychological health and wellbeing. 


It is widely believed that humans rescue dogs, however in many cases, dogs are actually the ones rescuing their owners. Consider Quinn Scharn, a twelve year old boy who has survived cancer twice, and his relationship with his dog, Logan. Quinn had to undergo a leg amputation due to his cancer. Afterwards, Quin set out to find a three-legged dog, a friend who would be just like him.  He found Logan, a dog, who also lost a leg when he was hit by a car. Together they understand each other. They both have lost so much. Through what they’ve lost, they have gained each other. Quinn says that Logan is the best gift that he could ever ask for, and in reality Logan rescued him. 


Dogs play a more important role than many people think. Numerous people rely on their dogs for basic needs such as walking, speech therapy, physical rehabilitation, and detecting life threatening conditions such as seizures. Seeing eye dogs, can save their owners on a daily basis. At least that’s what Cecil believes. Cecil is a blind man who fainted, and fell into the subway tracks while waiting for the subway. Orlando, his seeing eye dog, immediately grabbed his shirt, trying to prevent him from falling. Cecil fell anyways, and Orlando barked to notify people before leaping in after him. Orlando licked Cecil, waking him just before the subway arrived. Due to Orlando’s amazing work, Cecil and Orlando were able to duck down in between the train, and survive with minimal injuries. Cecil later declared, "The dog saved my life, I'm feeling amazed. I feel that God, the powers that be, having something in store from me. They didn't take me away this time. I'm here for a reason." Another event occurred like that one where Bob was going outside to get a log for the fire a day before New Year’s Eve, but he slipped and broke his neck. He couldn’t move, and Kelsey came to the rescue. Kelsey kept on barking and barking to try to get someone’s attention, but it was 10:30 at night, and everyone was sleeping. He laid their all night, and Kelsey kept on licking his face to make sure that he would stay awake. He was lying on the snow for 19 hours, but finally one of his neighbors heard a howl and found him at 6:30 on New Year’s Day. “Bob said that he would be “eternally grateful” to the doctor, and of course, Kelsey: and said “I am so thankful for my two heroes.’


Many dog owners understand the joy they bring to our lives. However, they also provide physiological health benefits, and contribute to our well being in ways we couldn’t imagine. Research shows that dogs can improve heart health by lowering blood pressure, and regulating your heart rate during stressful situations. Thus lowering the risk of heart disease and stress. Another study found that having your dog in the room with you can actually lower your blood pressure better than blood pressure medication when you’re stressed. Children who spend plenty of time with dogs, can also see an ease in anxiety. Lastly, it has been shown that dogs provide important social support among elderly which enhances their wellbeing.


Dogs, our furry friends that come in all shapes and sizes, can change our lives in more ways than we think.  It is common notion that humans rescue dogs, however, in many ways our dogs rescue us. We depend on them for medical assistance and emotional support. Our dogs improve our well-being just by being there. Studies have shown they positively affect our physiological health and even provide social support. Considering all of this information it is easy to understand how, “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than they love themselves.”


The author's comments:

I have four dogs myself, and I think it is important to know how dogs can really change your lives.