Turning Viruses into Anti-Cancer Vaccines | Teen Ink

Turning Viruses into Anti-Cancer Vaccines

“This revolutionary idea explains how unlikely-allies....the adenoviruses which infect mammals can be mutated and reformatted into a very powerful and effective cancer treatment.”

Detailed Description
Introduction: Cancer has said to be a very-big head spinning obstacle to the cooperative functioning of the cells in a multi cellular organism. Cancerous tumors are very stubborn colonies of cells with destroyed chemical instructions which contain the cell-to-cell coordination code that keep every multi cellular organism alive.
This cells that forms tumor divide uncontrollably forcing a breakage to go on establishing other similar cancerous colonies in other parts of the body .This is the malignant form of cancer that everyone fears because, it accounts for more than 500,000 deaths in the United-States each year. In fact, the National Cancer Institute estimates the various price tags for various forms of cancer; $107b per year- $37b for direct medical costs,$11b for lost productivity, and $59b for cost due to individual deaths.

Project details: Presently, the two methods which include, radiation and drug therapy are proved to also endanger the lives of their users leaving roughly 40 percent of users alive after 5 years after treatment.
While researching forward, I discovered that the most inventive potential methods locating and destroying cancerous cells depends on the assistance of an unlikely ally- a virus. The adenovirus, which infects mammals, takes over the bio-chemical machinery of specific cells to produce more virus and in the process, the virus kills the infected cells, often causing respiratory tract diseases.

To harness this destructive power for the benefit of individuals with cancer, researchers will have to mutate the adenovirus so that it successfully infect only cancerous cells. These mutant viruses are unable to multiply, but once they infect a cancerous cell, they are still able to destroy it.

In the future, mutant adenoviruses could be administered to tumor sites, where they would infect and kill only the cancerous cells, leaving healthy cells untouched. Although it is still to early to tell whether this kind of therapy will work in human patients, but i believe it represents a new potential solution to the problem of selectively eliminating cancerous cells.

***This remarkable effort to tame a virus and turn it into an anticancer weapon depends on understanding how viruses take control of the cells the infect.
''Anything  natural should be combated naturally...just as malaria is being combated with quinine, cancer can be combated with what makes it cancer"