Disorder in Disguise | Teen Ink

Disorder in Disguise

March 17, 2014
By -Caroline BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
-Caroline BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Over the years, bipolar disorder has become more and more common. Bipolar disorder affects approximately 5.7 million American adults. Bipolar disorder, formerly called manic depression, is a mental illness that brings severe high and low moods and changes in sleep, energy, thinking, and behavior. Adults experience episodes of mania or depression that last for weeks or even months at a time. A kid or teen, however can even go back and forth between mania and depression throughout the day. There is no permanent way to cure bipolar disorder but there are treatments.
Bipolar disorder could be caused by genes, it can run in the family and be passed down from generation to generation. Abnormal brain structure and brain function is also another reason. People are sometimes diagnosed with bipolar following a stressful or traumatic event in their lives. Excessive use of alcohol or drugs can also trigger bipolar symptoms. Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance says that about 50% of bipolar sufferers have a substance abuse or alcohol problem. The disorder is 75 to 80 percent hereditary.
In the manic phase of bipolar disorder, feelings of heightened energy and creativity are common. Symptoms of mania are rapid speech and poor concentration increased energy and less need for sleep, making unrealistic plans and showing poor judgment. Depressive periods are considered “the lows” you feel sad, have a loss of energy and feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness.

Personally I think bipolar disorder is one of the most difficult mental illnesses to deal with. This is because bipolar people have a constantly changing personality. Personality is weighted heavily in nearly everything. You’re judged on your personality and with bipolar disorder it’s always changing. I believe it is important to get treatment for bipolar disorder because not only can it affect you, it can affect people around you Just like every illness, it’s another thing you have to live with.

Mood stabilizing medications are normally the first choice to treat bipolar disorder. Antidepressant medications are sometimes used but can make symptoms of mania much more severe so some doctors refrain from the use of antidepressants. In addition to medication, psychotherapy, or "talk" therapy, can be an effective treatment for bipolar disorder sufferers.
In conclusion, bipolar disorder is a big problem and can’t be tossed around like it is now. but with proper diagnosis and treatment, it can easily be controlled. People with bipolar disorder just have to make adjustments to help them. Being supportive of those who are bipolar also helps as well as educating yourself because many people have preconceived ideas about bipolar disorder.

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/bipolar-disorder/overview.html
http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/mental-health-bipolar-disorder
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/37010.php
http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=education_statistics_bipolar_disorder
http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/bipolar.html#