Nutrition- How Can I Be Healthier? | Teen Ink

Nutrition- How Can I Be Healthier?

July 15, 2013
By creedencelight96 SILVER, Georgetown, Indiana
creedencelight96 SILVER, Georgetown, Indiana
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Bother me tomorrow. Today, I'll buy no sorrows."
-Creedence Clearwater Revival


very day we are faced with decisions on where to go, how to do something, who to talk to and what we need to get done. Of these decisions, probably the most important one is what to eat. We all know that food is essential to keep the body going, but there’s more to it than that. What kinds of food we consume and how much of it is important to keep in mind, if you want to be healthy. Good nutrition has many benefits.
Did you know?
·
There are 310,000-580,000 deaths yearly due to unhealthy eating and inactivity, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
·
Obesity rates in children have doubled
·
Diabetes can cause blindness and amputations
·
Almost 2/3 of all American adults are overweight or obese
These are facts that many of us have heard at some point, but have chosen to ignore it and continue with usual habits. Being healthy has many components to it. It’s about staying away from drugs, alcohol, and tobacco that are harmful. Regular exercise challenges our body. So, what does good nutrition do? It helps with feeling better, having more consistent moods, and being more energized.
What are some tips to good eating?
While researching, a found a great website that lays out exactly what to eat and what to avoid. These are some suggestions, according to http://www.helpguide.org/.

1) Start improving your eating habits gradually. Remember: water and exercise!
2) Moderation is essential. Try smaller portions. Certain unhealthy foods you love are not “off-limits.” You can have them every once in a while!
3) Enjoy mealtimes by eating slowly with other people. Don’t skip breakfast or eat a lot at night. Try smaller meals throughout the day.
4) Fruits & veggies: broccoli, mangos, lettuce, corn, carrots, yams, berries, etc. These will make you feel full longer.
5) Not all “carbs” are unhealthy. Try whole grain foods and beans.
6) Sort out the good and bad fats.
-Add monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fats: in avocados, olive oil, almonds
-Less of saturated & trans fats: in red meat, processed foods, baked goods
7) Remember protein! (try beans, nuts, soy products)
8) Calcium helps strengthen your bones.
9) Limit sugar & salt intake. Eat naturally sweet food. Keep in mind that large amounts of salt and sugar are in canned foods, frozen dinners, and fast food.
Being healthier is all about self-control and educating yourself on what to do (or not to do). Better nutrition could prevent a hard battle with heart disease, cancer, strokes, and diabetes later in life, all of which have down sides. Keep a positive attitude. Be patient; big changes take time and practice!