Alive to Tell | Teen Ink

Alive to Tell MAG

By nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin
nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

"Now join your hands, and with your hands your hearts."
-- William Shakespeare

There isn't a night I'll remember more vividly than December 26, when my girlfriend and I were struck head-on by a drunk driver – the night when the choice to wear our seatbelts saved our lives.

Emily and I were driving along a rural road, heading for a movie. I was behind a couple of cars, following them out of town. I was rounding a slight bend when brake lights began to flash and the cars in front of me swerved off the road. Before I knew what was happening, a pair of piercing headlights were in my lane, blinding me. I had no chance to react before the impact.

I blacked out, waking minutes later to someone asking if I was okay. Still dazed, I told him I felt banged up but didn't think I was seriously injured. I could hear Emily talking to someone too, and I realized with relief that she was all right. I asked about the driver of the other vehicle and the man said she was fine but that she smelled like alcohol.

I couldn't believe the other driver had been drinking. I felt incredibly frustrated. To think that someone's stupid decision to drink and drive could have ended Emily's life or mine infuriated me.

Emily was able to get out of the car on her own, but I couldn't. The driver's side was so smashed that the door wouldn't open and the dashboard pinned me against my seat. I sat in the cold, wearing only a thin shirt, for an hour before the firemen managed to pry me out with the jaws of life.

Later, a sheriff's deputy visited my parents who were by my side in the trauma center of the hospital. I overheard him say it was the woman's third drunk driving offense. Why she was even allowed on the road?

The soreness and frustration from that night carried into the next few days, especially when my father and I went to the junk yard to see my car. I could hardly believe my eyes. It was so contorted that it didn't look like a vehicle anymore. I couldn't help but wonder how we made it out alive. I felt queasy as the memories flooded back.

I was involved in a head-on collision with a drunk driver the day after Christmas and was lucky to suffer only a bruised wrist and a few stitches. I feel very grateful; I know that Emily or I could have died that night. It was a shocking reminder of how one bad decision can affect many lives.

After my accident my body was too sore to really do anything but write, so I turned my experience into an 8,000 word short story over the period of about a week. This is just a synopsis of it that I thought I'd take the time to create and share with other people my age.

FULLSTOP GOLD said...
FULLSTOP GOLD, Skipton, North Yorkshire, Other

forever and ever and ever and ever will never be enough

w. this user has probably stopped using teenink but i think he has gone through a lot and to be able to put that into words is amazing and brave. i am glad that both he and his girlfrind were okay and think that drunk driving is awful. i too, have had traumatic experiences with drink driving. :)

Brokenness_is_Beautiful SILVER, Independece, Louisiana

Life is so ironic to understand fully, it takes sadness to know what is happiness. noise to distinguish silent and a broken heart to find true love.

I'm so sorry this happened to you but I am so glad you and your girlfriend are okay. Maybe you can make a difference in someone's life through your experience!

on Apr. 8 2011 at 2:50 am
RadiahMariaBelak BRONZE, Singapore, Other
Great one!! very good picture description.

Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

its nice hearing about drunk driving from a different point of view (as in the person who got hit by a drunk driver)

Maybe the woman was an acoholic, or reckless but either way I'm so glad you and Emily survived :)

SkyDeer PLATINUM, Mebane, North Carolina

Respect the nerds, they will be your boss someday- The Computer Guy.
The best is yet to come and baby won't it be fine- A band.
Defiant is the best word in the dictionary!

No kidding that lady doesn't need to be on the road!

squalur996 GOLD, Henderson, Nevada

"If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character....would you slow down? Or speed up?
-- Chuck Palanick

all your thoughts about how you felt afterwards made it all the more real.  I mean that lady really should not be let on the road!!!

Savannainthesky GOLD, West Suffield, Connecticut

"It may have been in pieces.. but I gave you the best of me"-Jim Morrison(the doors)

omg i'm so happy u and your gf are still alive. Great wrting and if u have time, plz look at some of my works

xxEllaxStarxx BRONZE, Petersburg, Alaska

The hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, love someone else.

Oh my God. 

People these days amaze me with their stupidity. 

Great, great work! 

goldmansharone GOLD, Boulder, Colorado

A different world cannot be built by indifferent people
What a miserable thing life is: you're living in clover, only the clover isn't good enough.
You'll never shine if you don't glow.
Selfishness is a horrible trait.

Wow! Great essay.. It is so scary how your life can be taken away by the selfish act of a drunk person. You can be the most cautious, corteous person on Earth... and still get into problems.

Coop123 BRONZE said...
Coop123 BRONZE, Mt. Airy, Maryland

Deja vu'! This is the part where I tell you to SHUT UP!!!

I'm so glad your alive. A kid who just gradu8d from highschool just got bullbozed by a trash truck in my neighboor hood. hes dead

Brandon3607 GOLD, Lemoore, California

Wow that is ABSOLUTLY amazing

AlexMariexx BRONZE, Florissant, Missouri
I'm so glad that you and your girlfriend survived that accident.. I really do not like drunk drivers. I hear stories from the immature kids at my school all the time and I always wonder.. Whats the point? There really isn't a point to it. We really need people like you to inform others the risks of drunk driving and the possibilities of what could have been. So thank you for this.

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

It's exactly why I'm trying to be an example. Granted, I'm only one person in a huge world and I don't know how much impact it'll have . . .

on Nov. 20 2009 at 5:47 am
dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

ya but drinking isn't really the best way to "solve" problems. I wish people would learn that

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

It is pretty sad. It probably explains why she was drinking and driving in the first place though . . .

dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

well thats sad but,well at least it was her and not u or ur gf

on Nov. 19 2009 at 8:38 am
nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

It's interesting that you say that, because the woman who hit me back in December just recently died of lung cancer. so yes, it normally ends in death, whether it be instantaneous or eventual. Life works in funny ways.

on Nov. 19 2009 at 8:36 am
nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

I know you posted this comment months ago, but seeing it now made me want to look back on the story. I'm actually thinking about possibly editing it and sending it piece by piece to this site. Thanks.

on Nov. 19 2009 at 8:34 am
nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

What's really interesting is that I know she won't drink and drive any more. The woman who hit me back in December, actually died just recently from lung cancer.

on Nov. 19 2009 at 8:24 am
nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

EXACTLY! It seems like nothing is a good enough deterrent to stop all people from drinking and driving. This was why I wanted to write this article. I wanted to get my message across to everyone my age and I'm glad they chose it to be in the magazine. I've gotten another article published in AAA Magazine talking about drunk driving and how terrible it is, but that's targeted more towards adults. I just wanted my message to get across to everyone. It may not do much, but at least I'm a living example. I really appreciate your comment.