Why the Vegan Diet Is the Only Diet | Teen Ink

Why the Vegan Diet Is the Only Diet

March 17, 2019
By apye99 SILVER, Richibucto Rd, New Brunswick
apye99 SILVER, Richibucto Rd, New Brunswick
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Well-behaved women seldom make history.” ― Laurel Thatcher Ulrich


As we are beginning to see even more frequently in in our technology ridden society, ignorance is a dangerous habit.  This is why it is essential to question the animal product indulging diet that the vast majority of us were most likely brought up on; and why we must challenge ourselves to become critical thinkers rather than simply accept the falsehood of ideals that we have been fed our entire lives.  This is why we must therefore consider adopting the healthier, much more sustainable diet of veganism.  This comparison is essential, as it is not only the most beneficial for our health and the most humane and ethical, but it also happens to be arguably the most impactful step we can take towards preventing the destruction of our planet.  

When considering the idea of veganism, the most common aspect to come to mind is also the most obvious – the effect veganism has on the animals.  Many people are simply unaware of the detrimental and morally unacceptable, yet very common practices used in animal agriculture; and seem to be under the ignorant impression that the meat, dairy, and eggs that they are consuming come from the friendly farmer down the road.  While this may have been true 50 years ago, it is sadly not the case today.  Factory farming is a practice that has one priority in mind: producing as much food as possible, for as little money as possible.  This means, contrary to popular opinion, that there are no fluffy chickens happily laying their eggs, no cows peacefully grazing any grass fields, and no pigs rolling around in the mud.  The harsh reality is that cows are forcefully impregnated over and over again in order to produce the milk that will never go to the calves that mothers are ripped away from; chickens and hens are forced to live in quarters so small and cramped that they can hardly walk, and are intensively bred to lay about 25 times more eggs per year than wild hens.  These are only a few examples of why labels such as “free-range”, “ethically sourced”, and “cage free” are a completely false way of advertising to the public.  They are intended to put the consumer at ease, so they do not have to go through the effort of questioning the morals behind the inhumanely sourced animal products they do not think twice about before eating.  The undeniable reality that so many people have trouble facing is this: free-range or not, it is completely unethical and morally wrong to slaughter another living being not because we have to - mankind has been past it’s hunting in order to survive days for awhile now - but because we simply enjoy their taste.  We would never kill our dogs, cats, or other domestic pets for such a petty reasoning, so what makes cows, pigs, and chickens any different?  Justifying these vicious acts with the excuse that one living being is superior to another is simply unacceptable.  No living being should ever have to undergo the stress of being forcefully inseminated, or be forced to suffer through the emotional trauma of being torn away from their children.  No living being should have to endure the physical pain of giving birth far too many times that what is natural, or the unnatural hormones and antibiotics used to alter their body.  No living being should have to accept the fact that their lifespan has been split in half.  All this for the benefit of another living being; a living being that values taste over the suffering of another.  By choosing veganism, we are able to recognize that the exploitation and cruelty against animals is both unethical and unnecessary. 

While saving the animals is still a necessary action in today’s society, there continues to be one aspect that is too frequently overlooked: the idea of saving ourselves.  There exists a plethora of substantial evidence that proves why eating both meat and dairy is detrimental to one’s health.   Not only did the World Health Organization classify processed meats as being a level one carcinogen, put in the same category as tobacco smoking and asbestos, but they also declared that it was associated with an 18 percent higher risk rectum and/or colon cancer.  This however, is only one of many links between meat eating and cancer.  In 2014, it was proven in a study by Harvard that children who ate just one serving a day of red meat, which happens to be only one third of what is recommended by Canada’s Food Guide, increased their risk of pre-menopausal breast cancer by 22 percent; and that adults who ate that same serving of red meat were 13 percent more likely to develop breast cancer in general.  Additionally, multiple studies in both England and Germany proved that vegans and vegetarians were at a 40 percent lower risk of developing breast, prostate, and colon cancers than meat-eaters.  In a study published by the American Diabetes Association, the research strongly suggested that cancer is not the only potentially harmful aspect of indulging in a carnivorous diet. That study also proved that not only does eating meat cause a 22 percent increase in the likelihood of developing diabetes; but that the deadly amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol have been linked by many others, including dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, cognitive decline, and the epidemic of obesity.  While there exists many studies that prove why meat is damaging to one’s health, there is also a plethora of reasons why dairy is just as toxic.  From the perspective of evolution, dairy is absolutely and completely unnecessary in order to maintain optimal heath.  In fact, almost 75 percent of the world’s population are lactose intolerant, which means that they are unable to break down lactose found in milk products. Since vegetarians and vegans have much higher metabolic rates, meat eaters are on average, about nine times more likely to become obese than their plant-based counterpart.  This is most likely because most vegan and vegetarian protein, calcium, and other essential nutrient sources are unprocessed, whole foods.  There exists a vast multitude of vegan friendly food sources that do not require the sacrifice of one’s taste; including delicious fruits and vegetables, whole grains, plant milks with fortified calcium, beans, nuts and seeds; as well as a variety of supplements and multivitamins to ensure optimal, sustainable health. 

Arguably, one the most influential benefits that result from veganism is the massive impact that it has on our environment.  Most people are aware of the fact that climate change, which is caused by a number of contributing factors including pollution, over-consumption of our resources, and the massive amount of waste produced every day, is inevitable.  Even though it may seem much less obvious to the average planet destroyer, going vegan is one of the most impactful ways to prevent all of that.  Animal agriculture is responsible for 51 percent of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions as livestock and their by-products produce chemicals that are far deadlier than any car, factory, or even fracking.  Both methane, which is 86 times more destructive than carbon dioxide in a 20 year time frame, and nitrous oxide, which is has 296 times the impact of carbon dioxide and can stay in the atmosphere for up to 150 years, are the two greenhouse gases we most commonly see being produced.  These emissions, however, are not predicted to be slowing down anytime soon.  In fact, they are expected to increase by as much as 80 percent by the year 2050; and even without any fossil fuels at all we would still exceed our greenhouse gas limit by 2030 – all because we prioritize our taste. 

Animal agriculture also happens to be responsible for 87 percent of US water consumption, ranging from 34-74 trillion gallons annually compared to fracking, which only uses about 70-104 billion gallons in a year.  Worldwide, it is responsible for 30 percent of all fresh water consumption.  This includes the 447 gallons needed to produce a pound of eggs; the 900 gallons used for a pound of cheese; 1000 gallons are required to produce a gallon of milk; and the 2500 gallons used to produce a pound of beef.  But it doesn’t just stop with water.  Today, as many as 82% of starving children live not only where the food is fed to animals, but those animals are consumed by western countries – us.  While 1.5 acres of land can produce 375 pounds of beef, those same 1.5 acres can produce up to 37 000 pounds of plant-based food.  The undeniable fact of the matter that so many people continue to ignore is that we currently have enough water to completely eliminate dehydration in under developed countries, but are instead feeding it to the excessive amount of livestock that is required to satisfy our spoiled taste buds.  The harsh reality that so many people continue to ignore is this: we are currently growing enough food to feed 10 billion people.  There are only 7 billion people on this planet, but we still can’t end world hunger.  Practicing a vegan diet is the only solution for a healthy, sustainable planet; and is the only way to feed the mass of people who continue to go hungry each day. 

By refusing to support such a cruel, unsustainable industry, and instead choosing to buy more ethical plant-based foods, and supporting companies that do not test on animals, the world may finally begin to see some change.  The undeniable benefits of choosing a vegan lifestyle are obvious; the most significant being the stance it takes against on the abuse, use, and torture of animals; the many health related advantages that are necessary in a society that continues to thrive on unhealthy, processed food; and lastly the positive impact it has which can aid immensely in our fight against climate change.  As Albert Einstein once said, “Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to vegan diet.”