Open Letter: Okeechobee Dairy Farm | Teen Ink

Open Letter: Okeechobee Dairy Farm

November 27, 2017
By HAPPYTURTLERVA BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
HAPPYTURTLERVA BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Okeechobee Dairy Farm
400 NW 5th St
Okeechobee, FL

RE: Animal cruelty problem

To Whom it May Concern,


This treatment of your animals is cruel and unjust, so I ask you to shut down this company and plead guilty to felony animal abuse. There is hard proof that your cows have been beaten and/ or mistreated.


Why do you do this?


As an animal lover, I hate what you did to your animals. When you bought them, you were promising to take care of them and make sure that they would be happy and content.

Is it that they are unobliging, not doing what you want them to do? No excuse there. Is it that the workers have fun whipping them? Definitely no excuse there. Or is it that the workers have been told to do this? That is partially the fault of whoever told them to do this, and partially the fault of the person doing it, for not saying “no” when told to whip them. Still, no excuse.

When you are abusing these animals, you are hurting a living thing. These animals have feelings, just like you. They can be hurt, just like you. This is a growing problem in the United States. According to the “Last chance for animals” website, 97% of the 10 billion animals tortured and killed each year in the world are farm animals. That is 97 billion farm animals KILLED. That does not include all of the animals abused that survived.

The dairy cows of today make 100 pounds each, per day. That is 10 times as much as they were producing a decade ago. This is due mostly to growth hormones and cross breeding that hurts these animals. All animals have the right to survive. You are an animal. These cows are an animal. So stop.

This might sound cheesy, but with all seriousness I ask you to imagine being a cow on your farm. Being whipped, left to die, smacked, and just downright being mistreated. This company is running on felony and deserves to be shut down.

Sincerely,
Owen M.
Richmond, Virginia
Proverbs 22:1 – “A good name is to be more desired than great wealth, favor is better than silver and gold.”


The author's comments:

This was a school project that I really got into.