Think Green Folks | Teen Ink

Think Green Folks

August 30, 2015
By Anonymous

Nowadays there are lots of environmental issues that keep popping out on the news. Lately this become a viral topic everywhere. Do you know what are these environmental issues? What causing it to happen? What can you do to stop it? Sit back and take a deep breath. We have the answers for you.

 

Environmental issues are harmful effects of human activity on the biophysical environment. Major current environmental issues may include climate change, pollution, environmental degradation, and resource depletion. One of the issue is pollution. Pollution occurs when pollutants contaminate the natural surroundings; which brings about changes that affect our normal lifestyles adversely. Pollutants are the key elements or components of pollution which are generally waste materials of different forms. Pollution disturbs our ecosystem and the balance in the environment. With modernization and development in our lives pollution has reached its peak; giving rise to global warming and human illness.

Based on the statistic our environmental engineers made, the first fundamental cause of pollution is industrialization. Among other things, industrialization set in motion the widespread use of fossil fuels (oil, gas & coal) which are now the main sources of pollution

Population growth is the second fundamental pollution cause. With population numbers literally exploding around the world, the demand for food and other goods goes up. This demand is met by expanded production and use of natural resources, which in turn leads to higher levels of pollution.


Globalization is another major cause of pollution. Globalization has become an effective facilitator of environmental degradation. Developing countries usually have much looser laws on environmental protection. With this “benefit” as well as the population growth and easy availability of cheap labor, big industry prefers to move its facilities to such “pollution havens” rather than work in more regulated markets.

Now we know the causes of pollution. Lets move on to the effects of pollution. First is environment gegradation. Environment is the first casualty for increase in pollution weather in air or water. The increase in the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere leads to process of photosynthesis. Gases like Sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide can cause acid rain. Water pollution in terms of Oil spill may lead to death of several wildlife species. This is what we can observe now.

 

The main worried is about human health. The decrease in quality of air leads to several respiratory problems including asthma or lung cancer. Chest pain, congestion, throat inflammation, cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease are some of diseases  that can be causes by air pollution. Water pollution occurs due to contamination of water and may pose skin related problems including skin irritations and rashes.

Stopping pollution is important for the survival of our planet and the health and well-being of the people who depend on it. The air we breathe is laden with hazardous contaminants, and our oceans and water ways have been poisoned with chemicals.

 

As a student we can walk or ride your bike whenever possible. One of the best things you can do to help stop pollution is to stop using car for short trips. If the weather is nice and you don’t have too far to go, consider walking or riding your bike. You will help reduce air pollution and you will get some exercise and fresh air in the process.

Second is to use public transportation. Riding the bus, train, or subway is another great way to avoid using your personal vehicle and reduce carbon emissions. If you have access to good public transportation where you live, take advantage of it. Since you won’t have to worry about keeping your eyes on the road, you can take advantage of the time to read, catch up on news, or just relax.

 

Other than that, for those who are confuse to buy a car. Why not consider purchasing a hybrid or electric car for your vehicle. Electric cars run on electricity alone, so they are zero emission vehicles. Hybrid cars use a combination of electricity and fuel to run. While electric cars are the least polluting, both options will help stop pollution. Although they still use some gas to run, hybrid cars have much better fuel economy regular cars and emit fewer greenhouse gases than traditional cars.

 

There are still humanity left in us. We all start from the bottom, start saving the earth by doing things starting form you. Be a hero and not the cause of our earth destruction. Soon we can change others by our actions, be a good example. Start to change now for a better future. Lets us all, together, no matter who we are, lets make the world a better place for a greener tomorrow. Remember that WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENT!