The Power Crisis | Teen Ink

The Power Crisis MAG

By Anonymous

      Our nation is engulfed inone of the worst energy crises it has ever known. Gas prices have soared, whilestates like California suffer from rolling blackouts and power shortages,affecting the nation's economy. Politicians in Washington bicker over who is toblame, pointing fingers and hurling invectives at one another, while the problemeats away at our country's morale. Some blame OPEC, others blameconservationists, and still others blame the President, but the real perpetratoris a far larger and more diverse interest group: the American people.

Yes,it is the American people, the very individuals our beloved politicians wouldnever blame, who are the cause of this energy crisis. This is due to a doublestandard that exists within American society regarding energy and theenvironment. With increased awareness of environmental problems caused by powerplant and industrial emissions, few hesitate to vote for laws restricting thegrowth of these "enemies of the earth." But they do fail to bring thecrusade home into their own lives. People hate to see power plants constructednear their homes, yet cry bloody murder when they cannot have all their lightsblazing and air conditioners running at full blast due to power shortages causedby their "save the environment" legislation. By erecting legal barriersfor power growth, we only inhibit the energy companies' efforts to meet our powerdemands. Saving the environment is a great idea until we have to sacrifice whatis convenient for us or even take moderate measures to reduce our personal powerconsumption.

This hypocrisy has begun to take a toll on the nation'seconomy and looks as if it may have the power to force our country into arecession. We must either decide to live up to our legislative demands for acleaner environment, or abandon these attempts to save the environment due to ourinability to apply these convictions to our lives. The decision must be made, andit must be made soon or the nation will suffer for it.