What if they were gone? | Teen Ink

What if they were gone?

By Sar_liz GOLD, Warren, Michigan
Sar_liz GOLD, Warren, Michigan

When you look outside what do you see? I see a forest, a jungle of trees. Trees that give me oxygen to breathe, not to mention a breathtaking view. But what if there were no trees left? What would we do without the oxygen that trees give us? Without trees not only would we be directly affected, but plants and animals would suffer too. If the trees were gone pollution would take over.

Now you may be wondering what threat trees have to worry about. Well one of them is Deforestation. Deforestation is when forests are cleared by the processes of human's logging and/or burning of trees in a forested area. One of the reasons deforestation occurs is because trees or derived charcoal are used as sold or sold as fuel which is used by humans. The cleared land can also be used by humans as a livestock pasture.

When people remove trees without sufficient reforestation damage can be made to the habitat which can lead to soil erosion. This deforestation can make people big money and that's why it's so popular. What people don't know is that deforestation can lead to extinction and changes in climate conditions. Deforestation can also be a contributor to global warming as well.

One of the things people can do to help fight deforestation is to replant trees in areas were logging occurs. Another thing that can help fight deforestation is turning some forests into national parks. Although both of these things seem like big things there are also small things we can do in our everyday lives like reusing and recycling paper products.

With that said logging isn't all bad, as it provides us with paper and wood. But deforestation has to be under control as trees are vital to our well being. Let's let the world know that there are other less invasive ways to log, ways that are safer for the environment. Who's with me?

I hope when people read this they look outside their window. Whether there's two trees or a forest outside their window I hope they think and Visualize what it would be like if all those trees were gone.