Ocean Precious: Stop Ocean Pollution | Teen Ink

Ocean Precious: Stop Ocean Pollution MAG

March 27, 2023
By vaishnavirednam BRONZE, Wesley Chapel, Florida
vaishnavirednam BRONZE, Wesley Chapel, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pollution in the ocean can have many different effects, including disrupting the delicate balance of life within the ocean and destroying underwater ecosystems. The health of the ocean is important to all of us; it’s important for our planet’s future, our health, and the health of other species in the ocean. With my Social Impact Initiative, “Ocean Precious: Stop Ocean Pollution,” I want to make a difference and guide others to take the right first step in helping me with this cause. I know that taking action against pollution can seem daunting, but when we work together as a community, we can make a real difference and stop this issue in its tracks. This is why I have chosen to focus on two main ways of combating ocean pollution: raising awareness through education and reducing the amount that we create.

Throughout my reign as Miss Largo’s Outstanding Teen 2022, I made multiple appearances in schools across Florida teaching students the importance of following proper environmental protocols. Ocean Precious has done a great job of bringing the educational community together to train people about what we can do to help protect the ocean and reduce the amount of pollution

that we contribute to the oceans on a daily basis. Some of my events included a beach cleanup with Ocean Precious participants, as well as multiple educational talks on the topic with students in kindergarten through 12th grade. Throughout the past year, I have executed different projects with Ocean Precious; such as Operation Ocean, The Attack Project, and my Sunshine Baskets. I even launched my own website — oceanprecious. com. Furthermore; back in 2020, I was able to help lead an event with the mayor, where my school familiarized the town hall on the impact that plastic is having on our ocean and the importance of minimizing their use of plastic products. Doing so helped bring back recycling in our public school district. After mainly focusing on the educational aspect of cleaning up our oceans, I began working to familiarize businesses with what they can personally do to help fight the issue and how small changes in their daily routines can help in the fight against ocean pollution.

This year, my focus has shifted toward hosting public events that fundraise money for educating the youth on the importance of taking care of our environment and how we can implement these changes in our daily lives. Profits go toward sunshine baskets that I create and send out to schools, businesses, and other community events I host. These sunshine baskets have starter supplies and pamphlets for schools and businesses to learn about plastic reduction and have the necessary items to start a waste-free lifestyle at work. To help raise awareness, I have teamed up with businesses in the community to host fundraising events such as beach cleanups and recycling days. I have also partnered up with different local organizations to hold informational talks or screenings in our community to get people more engaged in the cause. Ocean Precious has made a major success of these events because of my dedication to the environment, as well as the positive message I portray through these programs.

My service as a teen shouldn’t go unnoticed. I want to make a significant change in the world by being a voice for problems that need to be heard and by representing them in a positive light. I have and will continue to lead by example by educating others on the importance and necessity of living a sustainable, plastic-free lifestyle and instilling this into other communities. I am determined to do everything possible to create a better environment for generations both now, and into the future. I can’t wait to leave a legacy for future generations to follow and I hope to make a positive mark on this world with my actions. I want to be remembered as the teen who helped do more than just talk about starting a change.


The author's comments:

Ocean Precious is a non-profit organization that raises money to help detoxify our oceans. It is trying to reduce the environmental problem of ocean pollution before it grows into something we can no longer control. Currently, pollution in our oceans is harming not only natural resources but also marine life. With Ocean Precious, you can help make a difference in this situation and convince others to take the right first step in helping with this cause.

In the eighth grade, Rednam founded her own organization, Ocean Precious: Stop Ocean Pollution, working toward decreasing the amount of pollution contaminating oceans. With Ocean Precious, she goes from school to school, holding interactive camps, and preaching the importance of recycling. She continues to raise awareness of Ocean Precious by hosting events such as beach cleanups and recycling days.