Animal Confinement- Should It Exist? | Teen Ink

Animal Confinement- Should It Exist?

May 31, 2022
By rmani BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
rmani BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Animal Confinement- Should they exist? 


There are many forms of entertainment that people enjoy. They might be outdoor activities, like going to the park, or even simply staying home and watching television. A common family outdoor activity is going to the zoo. Zoos are a very popular source of entertainment shared by both children and adults. Zoos and aquariums are more than that though– they use conservation methods to save endangered animals. But do these conservation methods actually work and are they actually effective and are they actually helping the animals? Zoos or any type of animal confinement should not exist, even with conservation methods, because there is not enough personal space for the animals and they are not treated and cared for properly.    

To begin with,  there is not enough personal space for the animals. For any living thing, space is needed in order to thrive and to grow. Without any personal space, the animals suffer from serious mental disorders that are titled as “zoochosis”. In the article “Cruelty or Conservation?” it states “...known as zoochosis, such as pacing, circling, surface-breaking and spiraling - all caused by the stress of confinement,” (Dalton 3). These symptoms show very obvious signs of lack of mental health and the animal feeling uncomfortable in these spaces. Another reason is that it is very clear that the animals do not find the space enough for them. An example of this is a guitar shark at an attraction that was trying to surface-break. Because it was trying to escape the closure, it was wounded with damage to the head. In “Cruelty or Conservation?” it states “The majority of scales were missing from the head and a few further patches of exposed raw flesh were visible on their side,” (Dayton 4). Hence, confinement does not only cause mental distress but also physical damages to the animal. 

In turn, the animals are not treated and cared for properly. In order to develop, animals need basic nutrients, care, and a nurtured environment. But, animals in zoos and aquariums unfortunately do not get the proper care they need. An example of this is killing “surplus animals”. What this means is exactly what it sounds like- killing the animal if it is simply not needed. In the article “The Case Against Zoos” it states “In 2014, the director of E.A.Z.A. at the time estimated that between 3,000 and 5,000 animals are euthanized in European zoos each year," (Marris 3). This shows that this devastating practice is very common. Another reason is that the animal’s mental health is dwindling. This is caused by the “illusion” of a safe environment. In the article “The Case Against Zoos” it states “...which the fact of captivity was supplanted by the illusion of being in nature,” and “... they rock, pull their hair and engage in other tics,” (Marris 2 and 5). This clearly shows that the animals are not comfortable with the environment and their surroundings. 

To conclude, there are several reasons why zoos, even with conservation methods, have a negative impact on animals and the environment. Some may argue that zoos are a substantial place for animals because of their conservation practices. However, these conservation practices are not effective. Therefore, animals are not actually being helped- but put through physical, mental, and emotional torment.  As Doctor Emma Milne says “A tank, no matter how big, will never replace freedom.” Ultimately, animals deserve to roam free and zoos and aquariums should be shut down. 

Works Cited 


Dalton, Jane. "Cruelty or Conservation?" The Independent (Daily Edition), 16 Sep 2021, pp. 37. 

SIRS Issues Researcher,

explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2579444848?accou

ntid=3431.


Marris, Emma. "The Case Against Zoos." New York Times, 13 Jun 2021. SIRS Issues Researcher,  

explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2560442605?accountid=3431.


Reed, Andrea L. "Defund Zoos and Create a Caring 'New Normal'." Courier-Journal, 05 Jul 2021. 

SIRS Issues Researcher, 

explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2560442607?accountid=3431.


The author's comments:

This piece is was created for my eighth grade English class. It talks about animal confinement and how it impacts everyday life today.