Urbanization and Ecology | Teen Ink

Urbanization and Ecology

By Ratan BRONZE, Bangalore, Other
Ratan BRONZE, Bangalore, Other

The entire concept of human life brings into play the general demand for resources contained among environments. The phrase "eco-footprint" is frequently used to reference the measurement of this need (Alcamo et al.). One element to emphasize is that the subject of man's demand for and consumption of natural resources may be approached in terms of nature's capacity to produce these resources as well as nature's ability to replenish those that it has the power to renew. There has been controversy about the impact of things such as the concentration of urbanization on the environment.

According to studies, this density helps to minimize the burden on the earth's surface in a variety of ways, particularly in terms of the sustainability of the resources on the surface of the earth. The influx of population in small regions has resulted in a decrease in the amount of land required for habitation, which corresponds to a decrease in demand for construction materials, putting additional strain on mining and minerals. City inhabitants also band together to build dwellings utilizing various policies.  People have grown accustomed to new means of obtaining homes, such as home loans, that see residences erected in clusters around a plot of land. The environs that develop are so densely packed that a lot of citizens can share amenities such as modes of transportation at the same time. This indicates that the amount of vehicles on the road is decreasing, as is the demand for fossils from which gasoline is derived.

Cities and metropolitan regions, in general, have seen improvements in infrastructure such as telecommunications, transportation, and all public services. In most circumstances, persons can reach all of these amenities within a relatively small area in terms of kilometre coverage, which means less travelling and less building, which reduces the strain on the ecosystem even further. People are also becoming more interested in previously unheard-of hobbies such as skateboarding and cycling.

Another significant factor is the competence of enterprises to produce multiple products in such a way that the refuse from these products becomes raw materials for others. This type of manufacturing is often viewed as an application of low turnover industrial ecological concepts. This dependency should be promoted in order to decrease environmental emissions.

Upon closely examining the commercial mechanisms that influence and contribute towards ecological change, it was discovered that several variables influence the urban ecology and overall growth, and their effects can be perceived either explicitly or implicitly. One of these drivers is reliance on fossil fuels. The dependability of petroleum fuels drives nearly all other areas of the urban economy. According to research, the utilization of fuel products for mobility inside as well as around urban centers stands for around 75 percent of overall consumption rates in such metropolitan eras irrespective of their size, and in modern years, intermediate cities have been shown to enhance this expenditure.

Another stimulus of growth in these communities is the preservation of tradition, customs, and norms, which makes them more vulnerable to the consequences of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. Slums and low-income habitation plans flourish in these cities as a consequence of uncontrolled growth that has influenced by-laws and customs.

The influence of gas emissions from fuel-powered cars, as well as the impending threat of global warming, is also prevalent in these nations, compelling politicians and stakeholders to campaign for cleaner fuels to decrease the risk, therefore influencing how people live in these cities. Such worry has increased, particularly in the automobile sector, where individuals are pushing to build automobiles that rely on alternative energy sources.

To enhance the environment in metropolitan areas, conscious efforts must be made, and several critical procedures must be undertaken. Communities must be enthusiastic about implementing new plant species into the urban ecology. This implies that procedures like reforestation and flowering plants in and around the city must be emphasized if a meaningful contribution to the current natural environment is to be made. Organic material and micronutrients should also be conserved and supplied to the environment as much as possible to help essential bacteria survive. Operations that have an impact on soil-dependent microorganisms should be restricted. Recycling mechanisms, as well as minimizing conflict among species, should be promoted. This should also see the advent of species that, via beneficial interaction, may result in hybrid products. Municipalities must also not restrict their capacity to develop alternative fuels.

The issue today is to prolong such initiatives, as proven by the sanitary reform agenda. It is easy to start projects but extremely challenging to keep them going successfully.

My passion for writing began as a hobby, but as my style evolved, I found joy in expressing myself through words. My relationship with writing has developed since I first started; and my love for various disciplines has grown, especially over the course of the pandemic. It has helped me out of the ruts I've found myself in during quarantine; it has been a constant throughout the ever-changing environment.