Asian countries involved in organic agriculture  | Teen Ink

Asian countries involved in organic agriculture 

By devyani_28 BRONZE, North Delhi, Other
devyani_28 BRONZE, North Delhi, Other

More and more countries are aiming for better sustainability, and undoubtedly agriculture plays an evident role in building or breaking the economy of a nation.

According to the stats of the United States Department of Agriculture, Asian countries have seen a steady rise in the use of organic agricultural methods and techniques, in order to reduce their pesticide consumption and generate an efficient system of agriculture.

Some Asian countries which have widely adopted organic farming are:

1. India

India is home to about 30% of the total organic producers in the world. In the year 2018, Sikkim was recognized as the first ‘organic state’ of India. Organic farming is growing rapidly among Indian farmers and entrepreneurs, especially in low productivity areas, rain-fed zones, hilly areas, and the northeastern states where fertilizer consumption is less than 25 kg/ha/year. Though, organic farmers in India are severely struggling due to a limited market, rising input costs, and poor strategies and planning. 

2. Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan is the third-largest country in Asia, where the majority of the land is engaged in organic farming. Kazakhstan is working toward exporting its own ecologically “clean” products under its own national brand. Moreover, the country has a large area of agricultural land that enables the production of organic products and has sufficient socio-economic potential to develop an organic market. Nevertheless, the uncertainty of Kazakh agrarians in high revenues, and deficit in knowledge and experience in the production and sales of organic products, became the most prominent limiting factor in the development of the industry’s segment.

3. Vietnam

According to the research, organic agriculture has become a hot trend in Vietnam as the people of Vietnam are demanding safe and high-quality agricultural produce. Vietnam’s Organic Agriculture Development Project for 2020-30 aims to advance the country’s organic agriculture production. The project also aims to improve the efficiency of organic production, with the product value per acre of organic cultivation and aquaculture being 1.3 to 1.5 times higher than that of traditional production.

4. the Philippines

As the trend towards healthier lifestyles continues to grow, the interest in organic farming in the Philippines is also expeditiously gaining ground. The reported organic area in the Philippines is just 52,500 hectares but the government support for organic agriculture became more accelerated in 2010 with the passing of the “Organic Agriculture Act of 2010”  which provides for its development and promotion in the country.

Citations-

google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fagritimes.co.in%2Forganic-farming%2Findia-to-expand-natural-organic-farming-on-20-lakh-hectares-in-the-next-five-years-says-agri-minister-at-niti-ayog-webinar&psig=AOvVaw3oZ8xgCi7jNLS0wJ0cnyQi&ust=1623949863489000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCOjpuurSnPECFQAAAAAdAAAAABAR

downtoearth.org.in/news/agriculture/india-has-the-highest-number-of-organic-farmers-globally-but-most-of-them-are-struggling-61289

core.ac.uk/download/pdf/158353707.pdf

jagranjosh.com/general-knowledge/top-asian-countries-for-organic-farming-1537358416-1

agroberichtenbuitenland.nl/actueel/nieuws/2018/06/25/kazakhstan-believes-in-future-of-organic-agriculture

fao.org/family-farming/detail/en/c/301666/

apk-inform.com/en/exclusive/topic/1106358

feedstrategy.com/asia/vietnam-aims-to-ramp-up-organic-agriculture-production/

researchgate.net/publication/328606174_THE_DEVELOPMENT_OF_ORGANIC_FARMING_IN_VIETNAM

fareasternagriculture.com/crops/agriculture/organic-farming-the-future-of-philippine-agriculture

nast.ph/images/pdf%20files/Publications/NAST%20Transactions/NAST%202011%20Transactions%20Volume%2033%20Issue%20No.%202/4%20How%20Sustainable%20is%20Organic%20Agriculture%20in%20the%20Phils%20Rodel%20G.%20Maghirang%20et%20al.pdf

google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fastanatimes.com%2F2020%2F11%2Fkazakhstan-to-tap-into-vast-potential-in-developing-organic-agriculture%2F&psig=AOvVaw1nJB3msmtKwhHB5Sxo3o3R&ust=1623949951061000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCNDD-JLTnPECFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fe.vnexpress.net%2Fnews%2Fbusiness%2Findustries%2Fvietnam-wants-to-be-top-15-organic-farming-countries-3978348.html&psig=AOvVaw3-RGzDvtTdAqW4mQ8I24yP&ust=1623949809219000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCOj1h9DSnPECFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asianews.it%2Fnews-en%2FThe-diocese-of-San-Jose-promoting-organic-farming-43095.html&psig=AOvVaw1VLO7WI9CBXa58zPdvBvI2&ust=1623949785096000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCOCb8dzSnPECFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

I am Devyani. I am passionate about the environment, with an entrepreneurial mindset.