The Problem of Space Debris | Teen Ink

The Problem of Space Debris

By MekBat BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
MekBat BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Recently there has been a lot of talk about space junk and the problems it could lead to. Mainly because space junk is a rapidly growing problem but has many solutions  to fix it up. ¨There are over 7500 tons of space waste¨”BBC says, and that number is growing rapidly, and the less we do to stop it the more dangerous it can be in the long run. But knowing that there are places dealing with these issues like UNOOSA, (United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs) some people think it should not be the most pressing matter for space as of right now. For those who think this doesn't mean anything , it in fact means a lot and could be extremely dangerous for the earth.

Many people think that space junk is not the most pressing issue right now in space because it could be a easy fix with the new technology coming out like space crafts that will collect the trash. Professors ike Henry hertzfeld of George Washington University, think that space debris isn't that big of an issue as we depict it to be. ¨ Is this the most pressing issue thing in space that we should be worrying about?” Hertzfeld also has said that we should be worrying about other things like launch failure and manufacturing defects, which could pose immediate problems.

Space debris is a huge problem and there are very valid pieces of evidence that support this. Agence France-Presse from Newsela staff says, junk moves increadibly fast for the size.If one of those fast moving pieces run into one of the space crafts it could crash and hurt more people or even make more space junk, and some pieces of space junk could take out a space craft single handidly. “Small pieces can do damage like rifle bullets hitting metal.” Even the tiny pieces are threats to our space crafts now, imagine if we let it go and it keeps progressing in to more junk to the point where its too dangerous for us to travel into space and if we do it is immediate death.

Though the space debris size and speed is a huge problem i think what a lot of people have missed is how this could pose a problen for future space travel. For instance, the junk increases by 25% according to forbes, with that junk increasing rapidly we will get to the point where it wont even be safe for us to travel in space. As the orbit gets more and more crowded we will need to get rid of satellites which will be a huge crisis. If we let it go to that point , The things that we thought only were in space will start coming down on us.

Though space debris comes with a lot of problems, I think the solutions for it are very probable to stop the crisis space junk is developing into. One of the most noticeable ones is UNOOSA, who are working on ways to fix the junk, brilliant countries are coming together to fix a big problem. They plan on sending clean up rockets that will come up and collect the garbage. But we need to take care of the junk as a world unit as soon as possible before it’s too late.

This is a under seen issue I have come to realize that could be a very dangerous to the future of our world