Children's Hunger Fund | Teen Ink

Children's Hunger Fund

January 20, 2015
By octoberopal PLATINUM, San Jose, California
octoberopal PLATINUM, San Jose, California
34 articles 0 photos 3 comments

When was the last time you wondered if a meal would be your last? Generally, Americans live a more opulent lifestyle than the rest of the world - what Americans consider the poorer class would be considered the rich class in most other countries. 1.29 billion people worldwide live on less than $1.25 a day, most lacking access to nutritional food, safe drinking water, or sufficient shelter.

When I started to become more aware about the needs of people on the other side of the world, I decided to have a fundraiser for Children's Hunger Fund, a non-profit organization dedicated to delivering food and hope to children around the world. When I began selling bracelets and earrings, I noticed that a lot of people had no idea of the extreme poverty in other countries. Many of my friends and family members were generous to purchase an item or two, with the knowledge that their money was going to support families across the globe.

As a young person, I used to believe that I couldn't make much of a difference in the world. "I'm too small," I would tell myself, "and I'd better leave things like that to smart, competent adults who know what they're doing." But never let your youth stop you from making a difference - even by selling a few bracelets or earrings for a fundraiser, you are impacting others' lives in ways you never could have imagined.