Off To A Good Start | Teen Ink

Off To A Good Start MAG

Off to a Good Start

by A. P., Castleton, VT

I was listening to the announcements one morning in my first-period class, when I heard that there was to be a volunteer service meeting, and that anyone interested could come to it that afternoon.

I was very curious about this since the group hadn't been around long, and I hadn't heard much about it.

At the end of the day I went to the meeting where I met the group leader, who also works with the volunteer service at a local college. My principal and five other people also attended.

I learned that this group helped the area senior citizens. I discovered that this group had also existed last year. In the past, students went around and surveyed the elderly in the community.

I continued going to the meetings and more and more people began coming. Our group grew tremendously. We discussed the idea of raking leaves since it was that time of the year.

Finally, on October 23 we all met at the school between 8: 30 and 9: 00 a.m. with our rakes ready to go! We split up into groups and went our separate ways to get the job done.

Some college students helped also. I had a wonderful time! I got to know new people and help people at the same time. I have always been one of those people who expect to get something back for everything that I do, but it actually felt better not getting anything in return.

When we were done raking, we returned to the school for a pizza party that was very much appreciated because we had all worked up an incredible appetite.

I arranged to help out the next day with a lawn that we hadn't been able to get to that day. Although there were fewer of us the next day, it still felt good helping others.

Although I was sore for a week, I enjoyed it, and can't wait until our next project.

i love this so much!