Mentors Making A Difference | Teen Ink

Mentors Making A Difference MAG

About a year ago, Ms. Christensen, my teacher, made us aware of the Mentor Program and I decided to apply for it. I did not know then the advantages of having a mentor. Later I came to find out that a mentor is more than just a guide. I came to find out that a mentor is a friend, someone who listens, and will help you deal with your problems and be there for you when you most need it. Even though my mentor, Spencer, is a busy person with a job and a family, he still finds time for us to work on anything for school, and he has also helped me find a job.

Until a year ago, I went grocery shopping for my family by myself because my parents didn't have the time to do it. I would bring eight to ten bags home in a cab. But since Spencer has been my mentor, we go to the store every two weeks. Although this might not seem important to you, it has been a great help to me. And it has made grocery shopping fun. I have learned a lot about good buys and nutrition.

I also have had the opportunity to meet Spencer's wife and two children. It was really nice to meet his family. One day Spencer took me out to dinner to a great Italian restaurant. And he also took me to my first University of Arizona basketball game. I really had a great time.

One really exciting thing that happened is that we were interviewed by a local television reporter who followed us to the grocery store, the library and then the basketball game. The report is now running on television to encourage mentoring in the community and to promote the Connect Tucson Mentoring Program.

Every time I see that public service announcement of us, I realize how lucky I am to have a wonderful person like Spencer as my mentor. He has really made a big difference in my life. fl

i love this so much!