One Saturday | Teen Ink

One Saturday

April 30, 2009
By Rookie9 SILVER, Monroe, North Carolina
Rookie9 SILVER, Monroe, North Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I've been on several mission trips with my youth group at church, but April 25th was the first one in our community. On April 25th my church got together and did lots of different projects. The kindergarten through second grade kids went to the police station and the fire department to thank the police officers and firemen for keeping us safe from harm. Third Grade through Six went to Family Video and handed out lemonade and bags of popcorn with stickers on them showing the ABC's of Salvation. Some of the women cooked meals for shut-ins, and others made walkerbags. Some made bibs for a nursing home and some went and gave snacks to those in the emergency waiting room and those who worked there at our local hospital. My Preacher and another man went out visiting people and sharing the Gospel. Some men and teenage boys went and did yardwork at different homes. My sunday school class went to an elderly woman's home who had slight dementia. We had two guys and four girls plus our sunday school teachers. We started working around nine and finshed around noon. The guys worked in her yard. We girls went inside and swept, mopped, dusted, cleaned up the bathroom, scrubbed walls and baseboards, made beds, scrubbed appliances, washed dishes, and picked up trash. When we had finshed we stood around and talked to the woman. Before we left we held hands and prayed with her. After we left and were heading to Cici's for lunch I felt great. It's such an amazing feeling helping someone in need, and even though we worked hard while I was working I didn't feel like I was working. I deeply enjoyed it and hope that my Sunday School class makes helping someone out a regular thing.