Teen Founder of Soccer Academy for Youth @ Risk in Nairobi Slums | Teen Ink

Teen Founder of Soccer Academy for Youth @ Risk in Nairobi Slums

July 2, 2018
By shayaanmuraj BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
shayaanmuraj BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My name is Shayaan M - a 17 year old, in Grade 12 student. I am the founder of a social enterprise – M.K WARRIORS FC.

 

We provide professional football training, academic support through our study buddy program, and nutritional support to various children from different informal settlements around Nairobi, Kenya such as Mathare, Kariobangi, Kibera, Korogocho and Dandora.

 

Most players have single parents while others are orphans. Their parents’ income isn’t enough to sustain their large families and often the youth end up taking on adult roles and responsibilities. Through this holistic approach we allow them to focus on their mental health and wellness, improve their football skills and also excel academically.

 

The club is 4 years old. The players train 1-2 times per week and are thereafter provided with a healthy meal. The club provides its players with playing kit and football boots. The players also get a monthly meal pack for the family to keep healthy at home.

 

The teams get exposure to regular matches and tournaments and is currently a high performance team in Nairobi. This initiative has had a great impact on the lives of many players. One of my player was chosen to play for the Kenyan National soccer team and one is currently playing for a Kenyan Premier League Team, he is earning a decent wage and supporting his family.

 

To finance my social activities, I started a social enterprise - MKWFC Soccer Schools which provides football training to various students from International Schools around Nairobi. Profits collected from this go towards running the social activities such as supporting academic needs of the underprivileged youth, monthly family meal packs and equipment for their training. I have also launched various clothing collections which provide an alternative source of income for the club.