Escape | Teen Ink

Escape

September 1, 2013
By lexaregina BRONZE, Turnersville, New Jersey
lexaregina BRONZE, Turnersville, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

As I open my eyes, light floods into the corridor… a corridor of frequent passing… a halfway house between “was” and “is”. I wave goodbye to old friends, old memories, and overwhelming regret as I take my first steps into my new life, a life that promises freedom and happiness. With each stride the corridor blurs, fading from a swarming memorial to nothingness. Soon, I will fly. And to think, one cut brought me here. One cut freed me.

Each step is steadier than the last as I gain my footing. No one is here to knock me down. Everything is different here. I’m different here. I look down and analyze my strange being. My tiny feet are disproportionate to my round body, but I giggle because, soon, that won’t matter. Soon, my feet will lose importance. Soon, I will fly. And to think, one cut brought me here. One cut freed me.

I walk on and on, testing my new body, exploring my new surroundings. There is no one here like there was in my other life, so I walk on. I raise the eyes that were once accustomed to the ground and walk on. I grow tired, but this won’t be the end. My tiny feet are getting weary, but this is only the start of the excitement. I will begin the long-awaited transformation. Soon, I will fly. And to think, one cut brought me here. One cut freed me.

I can hardly contain my excitement as I lay in anticipation. It’s happening. It’s finally happening. Just a little while longer, and I will truly be liberated. At last, I will leave the dirt that was kicked on my face and join the sky. This is what I’ve always yearned for. Soon, I will fly. And to think, one cut brought me here. One cut freed me.

I feel the breeze caress my wings for the first time as I emerge from my cocoon. This is what I have longed for. This is what I died for. This is what I was reborn for. I will fly. And to think, one cut brought me here. One cut spilled my blood but stopped my tears. One cut that brought anguish to so many granted my greatest wish. One cut freed me.


The author's comments:
Dedicated to Gabi Greenberg: gone but never forgotten