Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

May 24, 2012
By lavago97 BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
lavago97 BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Bullying- a form of aggressive behavior manifested by the use of force of coercion to affect others; particularly when the behavior is habitual and involves an imbalance of power. What do you think about bullying? Do you think it is not a big deal or an epidemic? Do you see how the world is affected by it? Do you see there is bullying in school, teens are becoming more depressed and isolated from the world, and teens are dying from it or even worse kill themselves. I do and think bullying should stop.

In the first place bullying is in schools across the United States maybe even the world. By having bullying in school its affecting the lives of the students. Some students dread the days they have to go to school. In school students literally hide from or watch every step to avoid their bulyee. It can affect their concentration in school. A poll of teens ages 12-17 proved that they think violence increased at their schools. 282,00 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month. According to the bullying statistics, thirty-two percent of parents fear their child’s physical safety when the child is at school. Also thirty-nine percent of middle schoolers and thirty-six of high schoolers say they don’t feel safe at school. Do you now understand the issue of school bullying?

Pursuing this further, the effects of bullying could make a teen feel isolated from the world. Most teens feel no one will understand them so they bottle it inside. Which makes them feel even worse. Victims of bullying display many responses, even many years later such as, low self-esteem, difficulty in trusting others, lack of assertiveness. Also aggression and difficulty controlling anger. Besides that depression and anxiety, increased sadness and loneliness. Changes in sleep and eating patterns, and lost of interest in activities they used to enjoy. Including long-term emotional damage.

As Well, Teens are dying from bullying. Bullying is putting this much of a toll on teens. Teens’ dying from bullying has expanded so much it is now called bullycide. This new term, bullycide is a hybrid of bullying and suicide to explain when someone takes their own life as a result of being bullied. Children and teens who are bullied constantly are in a state of fear and confusion in their lives. Many feel ?the only way to escape rumors, insults, verbal abuse and terror is to take their own life. October 2008 Sludjana Vidovic a 16-year-old girl from Mentor, Ohio killed herself by tying one end of a rope around her neck and the other around a bedpost then jumped out her bedroom window. The last words she told her torment at school, where students mocked her accent, taunted her with insults like “Slutty Jana” and threw food at her. What are we going to do about bullycide?

What can we do and how can we help? Well 34 states have anti-cyberbullying laws in place and only 4 have contributed in the anti-bullying act. That's not all fifty states in either one. So one way to help would be to try and get all fifty states to contribute in the anti-cyber bullying and anti-bullying act.
Something else we can do is have more peer groups. These groups can help teens who have been bullied or getting bullied now to stand up and feel better about themselves. Following this further we could have student advocates. They could protect students or be hallway monitors to out.

Therefore I explained my issue on bullying. To answer my questions. I think bullying is wrong. To have gone through it myself I know how it affects a person. I would say bullying is an epidemic. It is happening all around the United States. In schools, neighborhood, and online. If you can tell its effecting the world. Something has to be done. A solution to stop this. I believe if we try one bullying can come to an end one step at a time.