Save Alaska! | Teen Ink

Save Alaska!

June 10, 2018
By Sindi.T.G GOLD, Tiranë, Other
Sindi.T.G GOLD, Tiranë, Other
16 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Us humans have come a long way. We have made great innovations in science and technology: we went to space and we are able to connect with each other all around the world. However, whether it was intentional or not, during all of this, we have damaged Mother Nature. Luckily, there are still a few places left which have been protected from our doings and one of them is Alaska. But even so, it is now under serious threat and has become our next target of destruction.   

Alaska is a U.S state found in North America. It is known for its terrain of open space, mountains and forests and ample wildlife (“Tundra, Alaska Department Of Fish And Game”). In 1960 president Dwight D. Eisenhower established the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) to preserve wilderness. Later on, in November 12, 1980, the U.S Congress passed an act called the Alaska National Interest Land Conservation Act (ANILCA) which was then signed into law by president Jimmy Carter, on December 2, 1980 (“Arctic Refuge 101: What Is "ANWR?"”). It expanded the Arctic Refuge’s size, changed its name and broadened its purpose. This act helped protect more than 104 million acres in Alaska and nearly 57 million acres was set aside as wilderness. ANILCA created and added to 13 national parks, 16 wildlife refuges, 2 national forests, 2 conservation areas and 26 wild and scenic rivers (“35 Year Anniversary Of ANILCA”).

Yet recently, the Senate voted on a bill that allows the sale of oil and gas leases on Alaska’s North Slope, the coastal plain part of the ANWR. It could be years until Alaska is open for drilling, however, this bill only encourages this. If only one area soon starts undergoing development, then sure enough, it will be the whole of Alaska that does so as well.

Oil drilling in the coastal plain would ruin the fragile habitat for gray wolves, porcupine caribou, polar bears and more than 200 species of migratory birds (“Tax Bill Moves Oil Drilling In Alaska's Arctic Refuge One Step Closer”). Studies conducted by the Department of the Interior also revealed that oil development would greatly impact the muskox, water resources and recreation (“Drilling Impacts”). The increased traffic at oil drilling sites would contribute significantly to noise pollution. This would lead to the disruption of songbird communication in nesting and breeding seasons. Moreover, animals accustomed to traffic would be more vulnerable to roadkill (Seven Ways Oil And Gas Drilling Is Bad News For The Environment).

The seismic vibrations that workers generate at the oil deposits can scare animals, such as polar bears, off their natural migration routes. Furthermore, the vibrations can disrupt plant growth patterns. The infrastructure, particularly road-building, can lead to alkaline dust spreading across topsoil. This will negatively impact the plants’ development (Devaney). The development of oil and gas complexes will also strip the environment of vegetation, increase erosion (leading to landslides and flooding) and seriously damage unimpaired wildlife habitats.


The machineries that workers use for drilling oil release harmful air pollutants, especially methane. Methane is up to 84 times more harmful than carbon dioxide, trapping heat more effectively and, thus, boosting global warming. Poor infrastructure in natural gas also frequently contributes to methane pollution of the wild lands. Nevertheless, some oil and gas companies often intentionally release methane into the air through venting, the controlled release of natural gas, and flaring, through burning it off in the air. This pollutant also forms haze, leading to acid rain. Furthermore, open pits and ponds can contain wastewater and other dangerous chemicals, threatening the safety of our water. Pipeline explosions and wells, even if properly drilled, can contaminate aquifers. Moreover, the development of gas wells may require the release of methane into the air. Pollution from gas and oil wells has also been linked to worsening respiratory diseases and causing asthma attacks on children (Seven Ways Oil And Gas Drilling Is Bad News For The Environment).

People argue that drilling in the ANWR, U.S.A would import less oil from hostile countries, such as Russia and those in the Middle East. Development in those areas would also create 130,000 new jobs and generate an estimated revenue of $440 billion. Others also say that the advancements in technology allow for drilling to occur safely and with minimal environmental impact. However, a study conducted by the Center for American Progress, said that drilling would bring in no more than $37.5 million. Additionally, drilling is a hazardous effort that would cause permanent damage and endanger the area’s wildlife, ecosystem and beauty (Collins).

Alaska is one of the few places in the world that is under protection from economic development. We have done enough damage to wildlife and we should try to prevent further harm from happening. We need to take care of our environment as it is our responsibility. It has already provided us with so much and we should try to at least repay some of the favor.


Works Cited

"35 Year Anniversary Of ANILCA." Trustees for Alaska. N.p., 2015. Web. 6 Mar. 2018.

"Arctic Refuge 101: What Is “ANWR?" Northern Alaska Environmental Center. Web. 6 Mar.

           2018.

Collins, Michael. "Congress Moves To 'Drill, Baby, Drill' In Alaska's ANWR. Here's What You

           Should Know." USA TODAY. N.p., 2017. Web. 11 Mar. 2018.

Devaney, Erik. "The Disadvantages Of Oil Drilling In Alaska." Bizfluent. N.p., 2017.

           Web. 11 Mar. 2018.

"Drilling Impacts." Northern Alaska Environmental Center. Web. 6 Mar. 2018.

"Seven Ways Oil And Gas Drilling Is Bad News For The Environment." Wilderness.org. Web. 11

           Mar. 2018.

"Tax Bill Moves Oil Drilling In Alaska's Arctic Refuge One Step Closer." Fox News. N.p., 2017.

           Web. 6 Mar. 2018.

"Tundra, Alaska Department Of Fish And Game." Adfg.alaska.gov. Web. 6 Mar. 2018.