What Caused the American Revolution | Teen Ink

What Caused the American Revolution

April 10, 2022
By ArtThouLizardWizard GOLD, Deerfield, New Hampshire
ArtThouLizardWizard GOLD, Deerfield, New Hampshire
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We accept the love we think we deserve."-The Perks of Being a Wallflower


In 1760, George III assumed the British throne. Even from the start, tensions between colonists and mother country Britain were soaring. However, the exchange of the throne allowed for a new perspective. A new ruler with different ideas. Before this, colonial life was somewhat straightforward. The majority of colonies were divided into royal charters by regions in which colonists specialized in different areas. However, there was one constant; the colonists took advantage of the freedom salutary neglect provided them with. In response, the British came back ten times stronger which led to even more tension. The American Revolution occurred due to growing economic tensions, intrusions of American rights, and a completely separate perceived American identity. 

Economic tensions are one of the biggest causes of The American Revolution due to it’s the harsh impact on the upper-class colonists that lead the revolutionary spirit. By the early 1700s, England had a major problem. As a result of the Seven Year War, England is in major debt. They quickly found a solution. The British started to enforce strict taxes and acts upon the colonists. Before the war, the colonists were in control of their economies by region (Notes 9/10-28). Salutary neglect paved the path of freedom and colonies were practically left to run themselves in their way. The introduction of the Stamp and Navigation Acts are a huge change compared to the world they used to live in. Not only are the British tightening their reigns and enforcing more control, but the trade that used to make up their economy is altered, taxed, and regulated (Causes of the American Revolution). Again, this economic change is major. A passage from the Causes of the American Revolution packet sums it up perfectly. It summarizes that “They lacked a fundamental principle of natural rights philosophy-the consent of the governed-that the colonists had learned from John Locke an English philosopher”. These changes were viewed as taxation without representation. And to combat this, the Sons of Liberty was formed in 1765 and a Stamp Act Congress was held. The Sons of Liberty was primarily composed of wealthy landowners who were the most affected by these taxes and had the power to rile up the revolutionary spirit within the colonies. The British repealed the act in the March of 1766. However, in 1767 the Townshend Act was created and taxed essential goods and had a board of customs to enforce it (Notes 10/4). And six years later, the Tea Act was created taxing tea. This especially was considered offensive as tea at the time was a staple in colonial and British culture. Once this was put in place the colonists feared that the British would and could tax and control everything in their power. In response, a group of colonists dressed as Native Americans threw over 1 million dollars of tea into the ocean. At this point, it was more than economical change and control. It was a matter of personal offense. While economic tensions proved to create a long-lasting ripple effect, the overall theme of personal intrusion on colonial rights also proves to be important. 

While there is no one cause for the American Revolution, the theme of colonist rights being intruded on is apparent throughout the years leading up to the Declaration of Independence. Similar to economic conflicts before the Boston Tea Party, the concept of taxation without representation was one of the major grievances and intrusions on colonial rights. In general, the colonies believed in republicanism meaning they wanted a say in parliament and the rules dictating their society. This is why the Sugar Act, one of the first major taxes placed on a common good, was such a shock. This new regulation challenged their idea of a representative government. In response, the Sons of Liberty organized protests, meetings, and boycotts to put the colonial opinion back into British legislation. However, the British did not respond well to these measures and targeted Boston following the Boston Tea Party. The American colonists provoked the British as seen in the Boston Massacre which left four Americans dead when the British had enough. The symbolic relationship of the mother and misbehaving child reflects this response. These Intolerable Acts were some of the biggest intrusions on their self-declared privacy. The biggest grievance being the Quartering Acts in which colonists were forced to house and feed British soldiers in their family homes (Notes 10/4). Despite being targeted, Boston continued to grow as an epicenter of revolutionary spirit. So much so that it was all people could talk about. In 1776, Thomas Paine published Common Sense reminding colonists of 1) the fact that in all technicality the British had no right to treat them like children, and 2) that the growing list of grievances had to be addressed and revolution was the only way to nip it in the bud (Causes of the American Revolution). The general concept being argued is that these specific acts were taken in a great offense. They forced the colonies into submission and disrupted the peaceful setting that salutary neglect had left them in. To be alive is to hold such natural rights of freedom that allow you to succeed. The British gripped this opportunity out of budding America’s hands. In the end, economic and personal impact is emphasized by the separate American identity fueling this colonial anger leading to the revolution. 

Separated by an ocean and mile upon mile, the American identity took place as soon as the original colonists settled in the New World. Feeling completely separate, the colonists struggled to understand why the British felt as if they were able to tax, control, and ultimately dictate their behavior without their consent or say in the matter. Overall, this is perhaps the most influential factor leading up to the revolution. It goes hand in hand with all of the protests and rallying the colonists displayed after being manipulated by the British. More loyal to their state and region than the monarchy, each portion of America formed its own culture and separate identity. The colonists were both politically and socially separate. For example, New England and the South branched off into two different specialties. The South prioritized money crops such as tobacco and cotton fueled by slavery. New England thrived socially and religions such as the Puritans emerged originating from religious persecution in England. As generations passed, there became more and more of a generation gap, and the British identity was lost among the colonists. They were completely self-governed and believed in republicanism and the inalienable rights that made up life. The Great Awakening and Enlightenment are two examples of social phenomena that occurred in early colonial life that defined the social setting of America. It is ever so clear that the American identity has always been strong, persistent, and very much separated from the British. And how are they supposed to respond when the British suddenly decide to enforce the laws that they had neglected to follow up on for so long? This previously mentioned generation gap left it so there were completely new generations of American colonists who did not come from England originally. Meaning, they were raised completely differently and separately which again emphasizes the disconnect making this one of the most impactful causes of the revolution. 

Due to economic impacts, colonial rights being intruded on, and the complete separation of the American and British identity, the Revolutionary War was inevitable. While the Revolution was not caused by one act or key event, a lot of the major themes band together and create a coherent cause and effect that is easily traced. From the enforcement of economic policies completely changing what colonists had known before to the mere fact that colonists did not identify themselves with the British identity, it all plays a role in the bigger picture. And so what? Why can a single revolution change the world forever? In the case of the American Revolution, these themes are still present in contemporary American society and form the American identity that was shaped decades ago. To this day Americans still fight to have a voice and to have rights. The Revolutionary spirit hasn’t faded after all those years. And that is truly inspiring.