Diamond Heist | Teen Ink

Diamond Heist

Adam’s Log: May 31, 2018

The culprit has escaped our clutches once again. This time, he stole diamonds straight from a shipment on the highway instead of raiding another jewelry store like expected. I suppose that positioning several police officers by various jewelry stores turned out to be meaningless after all. Still, I wonder how exactly this man is so hard to find. Officer Smith told me about how he caught a criminal because they mailed stolen property to their home with their name and address listed on the packages, and Officer Caroline told me how she arrested a man who tried to take the bus home after robbing a bank. This criminal however, takes no chances. This man doesn’t leave any sort of footprints or signs that he appeared in the crime scene, and any potential witnesses are found unconscious with some chemicals in their blood linked to causing short-term memory loss. Even security cameras get disabled. Whoever this thief is, he sure is insanely prepared.

Adam’s Log: June 1, 2018

It turned out that the driver of the truck that was raided didn’t have the chemicals in his blood, and was able to tell us what he remembered. In Officer Thomas’ report, it was revealed that his truck lost control from a flat tire and tipped over, and he saw a figure exit a black van with a white stripe and go towards to the end of the truck before he fell unconscious from injuries in the crash. The culprit had a mask on and some devices that he couldn’t identify, no doubt what he used to make sure he didn’t leave a trace. We’ve all concluded that the suspect popped the tire and robbed the truck, but since he assumed that the driver had died in the crash, he left us with some information about him at last. While we have no reference for what kind of devices to monitor the shipments for, we do know to be on the lookout for a black van with a white stripe.

Adam’s Log: June 2, 2018

The police chief decided to set up a sting operation to catch the thief, and I was assigned to participate along with Officers Smith, Caroline, Leonard, and Harry. We intend on switching out a shipment truck of diamonds with an identical truck filled with police officers so that if the man attempts to rob the truck, he will get no payment but the justice he deserves. The shipment is set for tomorrow, so we must plan quickly. I don’t like this sting operation not because of any ethical concerns, but because it might not even work and the suspect could attack somewhere else. I suppose I can’t back down, however, and it’s not like the entire police force is assigned, so there will still be officers ready to respond to reports of raided jewelry stores.

Adam’s Log: June 3, 2018

In the morning, the sting operation began. It wasn’t the best experience. Smith was lucky to be the driver, because the rest of us had to wait in the trailer with no seats, lights, or even bathrooms. After several hours of sitting in the dark, and I began to realize that this was a mistake. Suddenly, Smith screamed, and we were all thrust backward as the truck suddenly sped up. He was here after all! I didn’t know if we had sped up from the truck chasing after the criminal or from the truck losing control from sabotage. Knowing how much of a hotshot Smith can be, it was likely the former. There was a loud crash and the truck stopped. We all exited the trailer, and saw that the truck had crashed into the criminal’s now burning black van with the white stripe. While Smith was trying to tell everyone that he didn’t mean to kill him as Leonard yelled at him for startling everyone and Caroline tried to calm everyone down while Harry just stared at everyone, I silently wondered about how we had dealt with things. I would have preferred that the culprit got to live and spend time in prison rather than die, but I suppose that he can’t steal any more diamonds now.

Adam’s Log: June 4, 2018

We have been tricked. This morning, it was reported that no body had been found in the van, but the remains of bombs that had set the van on fire had been found, along with the revelation that it was a self-driving van. To make matters worse, the real shipment had never left the warehouse and its contents had been stolen. I understood everything now: he never gave the truck driver the chemicals because he wanted him to remember the incident so that we would follow the clues he set up and could freely steal the diamonds we thought would be safe after his presumed death. Damn it! He’s always one step ahead of us! I’m going to take matters into my own hands.

Adam’s Log: June 5, 2018

The strangest thing happened. After I went to talk to the truck driver from a few days ago to acquire any other information he could remember, he told me that he didn’t know what I was talking about. He said he didn’t tell anyone about a masked man with a striped van, and that he couldn’t remember anything from before the crash. In fact, the doctors had found strange chemicals in his blood, the same kind that could cause short term memory loss. He never even went to the police station for questioning. Then it hit me: To know about the whereabouts of the police to be a step ahead of us, the thief would have to be one of us. And I knew who told us the information the driver never told anyone, and who had never gone on the sting operation. I rushed back to the police station to have a talk with my “fellow officer”. Officer Thomas seemed very scared when I walked up to him with handcuffs. He asked me what had gotten into him, and I told him that he had lied to us about the truck driver. He told me that he never talked to the truck driver, and that Officer Harry had told him about what the driver said. I knew now what I had to do.

Adam’s Log: June 6, 2018

Officers Smith, Caroline, Leonard, and I circled around Officer Harry’s house at 3:00 A.M. Smith was happy that he hadn’t killed anyone, Caroline was concerned if Harry really had betrayed us, and Leonard was really upset that he had to wake up so early. I just wanted to focus on the job. We were about to enter through the door when Harry, carrying a large sack, broke through the window right next to us and ran. Leonard shot him in the leg and he fell over. In response to my question of why Harry stole the diamonds, he told us that he had wanted there to be a master criminal no one could catch to serve as an inspiration for other criminals because all the current criminals in the city are incompetent and that makes his job too easy. Well, he won’t be serving this job anymore, but he will be serving time in prison. Even if I didn’t know Harry much, it still hurts to think that a law enforcer would decide to break the law instead. But I suppose that’s why I must keep doing my job, so that others don’t break the law.