We had won the game | Teen Ink

We had won the game

By PualLA BRONZE, Sagamore Hills, Ohio
PualLA BRONZE, Sagamore Hills, Ohio

As the 4th quarter bell rang the game ended. We had won the basketball game. My heart was beating so fast. I felt so excited. Before I left, I’d had forgotten my headphones in the locker room. I walked back with a skip in my step and a dumb grin on my face. There were four people still in the gym. I noticed that the cleaning crew hadn’t come in yet. I went into the locker room and grabbed my headphones. When I came out, there was no one in the gym. My stomach was turning inside out. I got a bad feeling about this. I walked cautiously through the gym. I was halfway to the door when someone I hadn’t noticed was walking towards me. He didn’t look like he went to my school. “Why is he here? Who are you?” I wonder. As he got closer to me and closer, my stress response was triggered and I knew that I should run. I was going to, but he asked me a question.  “Are you a basketball player?” He had a rough and frigid voice. He pointed at my jersey. I didn’t realize that I didn’t take it off after the game. “Yeah?” I was so scared that it sounded more like a question than an answer. I hadn’t seen his face until now. He had a scar under his right blue eye. His nose was so pointy that I thought he was going to stab me with it. Before I knew it he had a gun pointed straight at my face. He said his demands but I didn’t listen. My heart was beating out of my throat and I felt an overpowering fear like I have never before. “Hey” he shouted. “Are you even listening to me.” He said to me. Without any hesitation, he shot me in my shoulder. An agonizing pain came to my shoulder. I started to stutter. “W- Why me?” With a sinister look on his face, he says, “Because I can.” In that instant, I knew my life was over. He shoots me in the heart. As my body drops he runs away. Laying down on the ground my clothes start to absorb the blood around me. As the blood gets bigger I’m becoming dimmer. My body cold but painless. The last thing on my mind was that we had won the game.

Trigger Warning: This blog will be difficult to read if you have faced challenging days.