Where? | Teen Ink

Where?

By Taylorj814 BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
Taylorj814 BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia

Here it is: a misty wetland where everything is foggy and damp. Compared to my small body, everything here is substantially larger. Various sizes of slimy mushrooms and velvety flowers are sprouted everywhere out of the mushy ground. My watery eyes try to get a better focus on the dim greenish filter that seems to surround me. However,  I am completely oblivious to it. It is becoming harder to breath. I started to wheeze. I look down to discover that I am running. My feet are crushing the soft grass underneath me.
I am not sure why, but I suddenly feel a sense of urgency. I continue running through the humidity. My body is trying to figure out where it’s going. The smell of clean laundry fills my nose. It reminds me of my mom. Where is she? Where am I? Questions I won’t be finding the answer to anytime soon. I start to notice the metallic taste of blood in my mouth. This happens every time  I overwork my body. How long have I been running? I stop for a moment taking in the repetitive sight of my surroundings. I hear water to my left, trickling down rocks maybe. It’s a soothing sound, and it reminds me of when I was younger for some reason. Being down at the beach with my family all the time made me feel great no matter what kind of mood I was in. I take my hands and glide them through the cooling, clear water. I bring some to my lips and drink to satisfy my thirst.
The metallic taste slowly fades away and I instantly feel better. I start running again. It feels like I am on a treadmill, constantly seeing and hearing the same things. I do not think I am ever going to figure out where I am going. The same sense of urgency fills my body again, causing me to become paranoid. I feel like I am being watched or followed. Then all of the sudden I hear another set of footsteps coming from a few feet behind me. I do not bother to turn around as I pick up my pace, feeling like I am creating some space between myself and the mysterious predator.
I am growing weak, but I know if I stop I will be in great danger. I must have slowed my run in the midst of my thinking because I feel a deformed hand wrap around my upper arm and pull me down, my face meeting the the soft ground. My vision becomes blurry as I try to make out the two, very large, abnormal feet standing before me. I heard a growl, was this predator about to kill me? I must be helpless against this creature. I try to move away, only for it to pick me up and start carrying me away. I suddenly fall into darkness...Is this the end?

This piece is inspried by a dream I had repeadedly for the longest time