that summer | Teen Ink

that summer

By MAEVE1011 BRONZE, Brick, New Jersey
MAEVE1011 BRONZE, Brick, New Jersey

The crisp autumn air whipped through small town Buxton, Connecticut. The streets were lined with little boutiques and cafes, houses bigger than the other. It was a picture perfect town in its own little bubble until it took a turn for the worst.

Most families came from old money which allowed most parents to jet off to wherever, whenever, leaving their kids in the care of a nanny. Alexis James knew this scenario all too well; she was technically raised by her nanny and grandmother, who she became quite close too. The lifestyle that came so easily to her mother and her peers did not come so easily to her. Her idea of a fun night was a night of read murder mysteries or romance novels. Alexis had bleach blonde and waved hair that sat just so on top of her shoulders. Her deep, icy blue eyes glimmer in the sun. Her mother and her seemed like twins from the outside, disregarding the fact that Alexis always wore glasses, but on the inside it was like they had a completely different genetic makeup. Unfortunately for Alexis Buxton isn't a place for girls like her, she was an outcast, and onlooker.

She practically read books before she could even speak. She read every book in the family's own personal library and the Buxton public library. Now she tends to write more, writing about her day, how she feels, she dreamt of being a best selling author. Before she could remember she'd record her thoughts in these notebooks that were now taking on a life of their own, to the right of her pale pink desk. On this particular morning, the first day of senior year, Alexis sat there staring at the top notebook. Her face shuddered and went pale at the sight of it, it was more than just a notebook or a diary, it had personality, grit. The pages were withered and the front cover had coffee stains all over and it reeked of stale vodka. She brushed her hand over the front cover turning it page by page, faster and faster each time she knew where it all began. The entry that changed her life forever.

June 18th 2017 5:35 am

Finally, it's the last week of school I can't wait for summer to begin. Then I can finally breathe in the salty air so thick you can taste it. Feel the sun in my face and relax with a good book.

June 18th 2017 10:00

I don't know what to do. I'm worried. I saw something I shouldn't have. They definitely saw me. How could someone so invisible become a target? I'm afraid of what they'll do. I had ridden my bike to the park, to clear my head, to enjoy the lovely new weather. All of a sudden I see Stephanie Blake’s silver hummer pull in and park, up against the edge of the woods. The doors swing open and out pours Amanda Sherwood, Colin Jennings, and Kyle Warner. I couldn't figure out why they'd be at the park. shouldn't they be pre gaming for some sort of giant end of the year party? Why were the four most popular kids in school here? I don't know why but I walked over to get a closer look at what they were doing when suddenly her headlights flicked off and her trunk popped open. Kyle and Colin pulled out what looked like a body and carried it into the woods. Following closely behind with 2 shovels were Stephanie and Amanda. Against my better judgement I got closer and followed them into the woods. I could finally see who it was they were carrying when I realized this person isn't drunk or passed out she's dead. I screamed at the sight of Quinn Shephard, stephanie’s ex-bestfriend’s, pale blue face. I had blown my cover so I ran realizing, I, the invisible girl was no longer invisible. Stephanie and Amanda ran after me, or should I say tried, (compared to those two I'm like the Michael Phelps of running). I made it to my bike and pedaled as fast as possible all the way home. Now I'm here and I don't know what to do. If I say something they'll know it's me. Maybe I'll take a bath and fall asleep.

June 19th 2017 2:00 am

Ughhhh! I CAN NOT sleep I can't stop thinking about anything. What if I end up like Quinn or what if I don't say or do anything. I'm terrified of what might happen. If only I hadn't followed them into the woods. I'm freaking out! I don't know what to do!

June 19th 2017 5:45 am

I DID NOT SLEEP AT ALL! I'm dreading school more than ever right now I don't want to deal with any of this anymore but if I don't go to school it will look even more suspicious. I look dead, feel dead, and I'm afraid I might be dead soon.

June 19th 2017 2:37

Well they knew it was me. They remembered my shoes. I'm such an idiot, why did I wear the same shoes, I didn't even bother cleaning them. The pushed me into an empty classroom where they interrogated me and asked me everything I saw. After I explained to them everything I saw they of course defend themselves but I couldn't help think about Quinn and her family. They sent out a report today saying she went missing. I can't help but feel I have to be part of the reason this happened. Completely disregarding what they had to say, my mind went off on a long tangent until they offered me friendship. I don't know why that offer sparked so much excitement in me, I've never been one to need friends but it excited me to an extent. I couldn't say no to them, I didn't have any other options. I wish I could just shut off my brain, just for a second.

June 20th 2017 10:00 am

It was like I flicked up a switch because all of a sudden people actually saw me, they knew my name. I didn't think anyone even knew I was around. Stephanie and Amanda want to give me a makeover, they say I have natural beauty I just need better fashion sense.  I'm not sure if that was a compliment but I'll take it. I just can't help think about that night and Quinn’s family. I wonder if I'm being selfish. Her parents are out there looking for her, they think she's alive and I'm just having the time of my life, getting invited to parties every night for the next two weeks, and getting pampered. I s housing be doing this, I need to tell someone.

June 29th 2017 12:32 am

I'm still amazed at the amount of people who talk to me all of a sudden. I even had a full conversation with a boy. A few days ago I barely held a conversation with anyone and now guys are initiating conversations with ME! But the guilt is killing me, slowly eating away at my insides. How am I supposed to live like this?

July 6th 2017 5:05 pm

Stephanie and I don't really have a real friendship but Amanda and I are getting really close. I'm debating if I should ask her what really happened that night. Was it really an accident?

July 10th 2017 6:00 pm

I scraped up enough courage to ask Amanda what happened that night. Fortunately she's not the sharpest tool in the shed so she really didn't think twice. A drunk Quinn had showed up to Stephanie's house before Amanda's giant end of the year party and they got into a huge fight. It didn't take much to push the already unstable Quinn to the ground, so when Stephanie pushed her with all her strength, Quinn hit the ground and hard. The fall had knocked her out. Freaking out she and Amanda called Kyle and Colin to help them figure out what to do. Instead of doing the logical thing and calling the police they figured if she was dead there was no getting out of it, and that's when they brought her to the woods.

July 15th 2017 11:09 am

It's been rough these past days I've been thinking a lot about how it happened and I think to myself what would I do and every possible outcome ends with me telling the truth. But I don't know if I can give up this new lifestyle; it's addicting, having so many friends and just being able to forget everything and fall in and out of lust. It's a dangerous game but I can't end it.

August 25th 2017 8:00 am

The police found the body. My stomach sunk so far down I can feel it in my toes. Her parents were crying all night and into the morning. People are already collecting money and flowers for the Shepherds, students from my school been created a memorial for her where they found the body. What the worst part is is that the head of that committee is Stephanie Blake. How could she not feel any pain or guilt? How is that humanly possible? Just thinking about makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. There is an ongoing investigation about what happened to her. I can't help but think things would've been different if I had just said something in the first place.

Closing the notebook Alexis stared at herself in the mirror, disgusted at the fact that something so disgusting could change her and change her into someone she kind of liked. She had changed her look and her personality but she could not change her morals. She didn't care the consequences the truth needed to be told. She snatched the journal from the top of the pile grabbed her keys and ran out the door. She got to the police station and handed the man at the desk her notebook claiming it was full of evidence on the Quinn Shephard case. He looked at her quizzically and turned back into the offices to get help but before he could even make a move she had left. Alexis did not want anyone to know it was her who snitched. She just wanted the truth in the open.

When in was all said and done Stephanie Blake was charged with manslaughter. Amanda Sherwood, Colin Jennings, and Kyle Warner were all charged as accessories to murder and Alexis James was charged for withholding evidence. Fortunately, Alexis got the charges dropped. Finally, Alexis had used her power of invisibility to settle things.