The Box | Teen Ink

The Box

Grace and Kayleigh stepped out of the car and began to walk towards Kayleigh’s front door on a chilly Monday afternoon. This was no regular Monday afternoon, though. This was the day before Halloween, Kayleigh and Grace’s favorite holiday of the year. They had gotten their nails done to celebrate.
“Ugh!” Grace said, drumming her nails on her phone screen. “I hate this color! Polish always looks different on fake nails!”
“It’s okay Grace! No one will pay any attention to your nails at the party tomorrow night! Everyone is going.” Kayleigh said cheerfully.
“Except us! I thought we were going to the block party with my family! My costume is much too mediocre to go to a party with people we know!” Grace said, beginning to grow annoyed.
“I said we could go to the party with everyone we know or the block party. I didn’t think it’d be a tough decision.” Kayleigh said, rolling her eyes. “Besides, during the party, you won’t even be worried about your costume.” The girls realized they had a huge dilemma on their hands, and began to get into an altercation over where to go Halloween night. During their argument, the girls hadn’t realized Kayleigh’s dad had already gone inside.
“Let’s just go inside and get something to eat,” Kayleigh said, tired from arguing. “We’ll worry about what to do later.”
As the girls approached Kayleigh’s front door, they noticed a nondescript, but rather large box sitting on top of the welcome matt. The girls both felt an icy feeling in their stomachs as they approached it.
“Grace, what do you think we should do?” Kayleigh said nervously.
“Kayleigh, we’re not opening this box. It’s the day before Halloween. There could be a very irate spirit in there.”
“Grace, don’t be ridiculous. It’s just a box.” Kayleigh said, trying to sound brave. However, on the inside, she was terrified. What is so scary about a stupid box? Kayleigh wondered.
“Alright, whatever. Let’s terminate this argument.” Grace said, reaching towards the box. Grace’s hands slowly latched around the two flaps at the top. Almost immediately after doing so, she sharply ripped her hands away. One of her fake nails fell to the ground and shattered.
“The box is freezing. That’s the coldest thing I’ve ever touched in my life.” Grace said shakily. Her nails were freezing cold and extremely brittle, and the tips of her fingers were almost purple.
“You know what? This is ridiculous. I’ll open the box.” Kayleigh said, ripping apart the flaps and staring inside. It was empty. No spirits or air conditioning vents were inside.
“See Grace!” As Kayleigh turned towards her friend, she realized that she was no longer there. Neither was her dad’s car, and the colors of the houses behind hers seemed as if they were fading. “Grace?”
Kayleigh slowly opened her eyes and looked at her surroundings.  When did I ever fall asleep? Kayleigh wondered. Why am I in the hospital? She glanced to her side to see a woman in scrubs adjusting an IV that had mysteriously ended up in her arm.
“What is going on?” Kayleigh asked.
“You and your friend were found unconscious in your driveway, soon after opening a mysteriously cold box. We’re not sure what the cause is,” the nurse said, “But we’re trying to figure it out. Your father will be here shortly.”
The door to Kayleigh’s room opened, and Kayleigh’s father carefully walked towards Kayleigh’s hospital bed. He looked exhausted.
“I’m so glad you’re okay,” he said.
“I’m so confused,” Kayleigh said, “I just remember opening the box, and suddenly I’m in the hospital!”
“Just remember,” Kayleigh’s father admonished, “Always stay away from spirits, especially on Halloween.”

I wrote this piece around Halloween to get into the spirit. I hope this piece is entertaining and thrilling to read.