Stalker | Teen Ink

Stalker

Liam watched from a distance as Rylee walked out of the hospital, like she did everyday at 3o’clock.  He had been keeping an eye on her for a couple weeks now and he noticed she was always by herself.  In his mind he thought she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen, he had to have her all to himself.  Liam had never worked up the nerve to talk to her before but today was the day.  He started towards her and once he got close he called out her name, Rylee turned around and smiled. 

“Not to be weird but I’ve been seeing you come and go from this hospital a lot lately, is everything alright?” he asked.

“Yeah I’ve just been interning here for the physical therapy center” Rylee replied.

“Oh wow that’s great, hey I was wondering if you’d maybe like to grab coffee with me?” he asked hesitantly.
“That actually sounds like fun, I will go drop my stuff off at home and meet you at Greenwald’s cafe!” she exclaimed.

Liam walked back towards his car and got in, he watched as Rylee drove off so he put his car in drive and started following her.  He kept a reasonable distance between himself and her car so she wouldn’t catch on.  As Rylee began to slow down she pulled up to a ginormous red brick house on the corner of 20th and 8th street.  He parked on the street below hers, as she walked up to her door Liam stood against a tree and watched her.  Once Rylee got inside he moved a bit closer towards her house and eventually made his way onto the lawn.  Watching her shadow move past the windows, he waited until she finally got into her room and he went and stood underneath her window.  Picking up a few pebbles from around his feet he backed up and threw a couple up to her window.

“Liam?? What are you doing here??” Rylee exclaimed.

“I’m sorry I thought maybe I could pick you up and we could go together?” Liam stated.

“Yeah I guess that’s fine I’ll just be a minute..” she said.

Rylee didn’t have a clue as to how Liam knew where she lived but she just brushed it off and went downstairs.  As Rylee was coming out the door she could see Liam already waiting down there with a huge grin on his face.  They walked down the street to where Liam had parked his car and they both got in.  On their way to the cafe Rylee was looking around the inside of his car and noticed a box sitting on the ground, it was labeled “R.S”.  She thought that was very odd because her initials are R.S as well.  Eventually she got nosey and picked up the box and tried to open it.  As she was about to open it Liam smacked the box out of her hands and it fell back onto the floor.

“Why did you smack that out of my hands?” Rylee asked.

“I’m sorry it’s just personal stuff in there and I don’t want anyone to see it.” Liam replied.

“Oh okay I didn’t know, you just scared me..” she said quietly.

“Maybe one day I will show you.” he said with a smirk on his face.

Finally they pulled up to Greenwald’s cafe but as they were about to get out of the car Rylee noticed there was a closed sign hanging from the door.

“Well what do you want to do now?” Rylee asked.

“I know this one place that is really pretty at sunset, we could go there.” Liam suggested.

“Yeah sure why not, that could be fun.” Rylee replied.

So they pulled out of the parking lot and started heading west on 14th street.  They drove for about twenty minutes until they reached a rest stop area with a sign that said “Sunset Overlook 4 miles”. 

“Okay so we’ll park here and walk the trail for 4 miles until sunset overlook.” Liam said.

“Alright, I just have to call my mom to let her know where I am and what time she wants me home at.” Rylee explained.

“Oh there is no service out here, I hope that won’t be a problem.” Liam said quietly.

Right after he said that Rylee got a bad feeling in her stomach, and kept her eyes peeled for any other red flags she might notice.  They started walking on the trail and the further they walked the deeper they went into the woods.  Liam slowly started trying to get closer to Rylee the longer they walked together.  Eventually Liam started making weird comments like, “what would you do if we got stuck out here together?” or “it would be awful if something bad happened out here because there is no one around for miles.”  Before Rylee could even comprehend what Liam just said they got to sunset overlook. It was so peaceful with the sun gleaming on the horizon miles and miles in front of them.

“It is such a pretty sunset don’t you think?” Rylee said calmly.

“Yeah it sure is…Rylee I have to admit I’ve had a huge crush on you forever.” Liam confessed.

“Are you serious Liam?” Rylee questioned.

“Yes, that box in my car labeled R.S. is a bunch of photos I’ve taken of you over the past few weeks..” he said.
“What??? You have been following me around taking photos of me, are you a stalker or something??” Rylee demanded.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say stalker, but yes I am fascinated with you and that’s why I brought you out here...so we could be alone finally.” he replied.

After hearing those words come out of his mouth Rylee got chills throughout her whole body and started running towards the car as fast as she could.  She could hear Liam’s heavy steps trying to catch up to her, every thing was a blur to her as she ran past the trees.  As Rylee could start to see the rest stop area ahead she felt a hand grab her arm and pull her to the ground.  When she hit the ground she looked up to see Liam standing above her holding a knife in his left hand with an eerie grin on his face.  Before she could say anything or beg for him to stop she felt a sharp pain radiate through her upper chest.  It felt like someone had just lit a fire inside her body. The last thing she sees is Liam driving the knife through his own heart and collapsing to the ground beside her.  A white light began to crowd Rylee’s vision...and just like that she was dead.

We had to write a short story in creative writing class and this is where my mind went.