The Blood Ring | Teen Ink

The Blood Ring

May 3, 2016
By MrVernon BRONZE, Hailey, Idaho
MrVernon BRONZE, Hailey, Idaho
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Gotta run, gotta run, gotta run! Oh god just keep running!”


The year was 1798. In a small village in Haiti, a woman named Masulicha Persia had studied and practiced witchcraft ever since she was a child. She was running -- running away from all the angry, poor, and disheveled townsfolk that wanted to burn her for her witchcraft. She ran and ran through the crowds of the townspeople, and then she saw it… an old abandoned house about four miles out from the village.
She swiftly swung open the creaky door and slammed it shut. She looked all around the house for some supplies or something to rest on, and she saw a old stained mattress leaning on the side of a torn wall. She pulled the mattress off the wall, and dust flew all through the house. She decided to fall asleep. It was about 2:00 AM, and she woke up to the sounds of yelling and horses; they had found her. But there was another noise. The sound of crackling fire. Then she saw it: the house was burning.


She quickly grabbed the satchel beside her. She quickly grabbed a priceless blood diamond ring that she had stolen. But she grabbed something else too. A serrated blade. She cut her palm, and blood dripped from her palm onto the diamond. The ring went from a shimmering blue to a dark despairing black.


She shouted out a chant, “San an soti nan bag la pral posede nenpòt moun mani li!” A wave flew from her body onto the ring; it was her life energy. Something changed about her. Her hair was turning grey, and her skin was shriveling up. She was dying. Five minutes later she was dead, still with the ring on. The house then collapsed.

 

Almost 200 years later, a Haitian archaeologist named Pamete Li moved into a small village in Haiti to find some archaeological discoveries. She was interested in old structures and relics from all over the world. She was now in her home country of Haiti. She was searching a small village named Ratilachu. The village has been around since the early 1700s. She bought a small house in the village since she would be there for eleven months. Before she set off searching for relics, she saw an old woman.


She went over to ask about any old statues or architectural structures. But, she got an answer she was not expecting. “Run, run outsider! If she finds you, you and your soul will be cursed!”


Like any normal person, she ran away from the woman and decided she would go out on her own.
She grabbed a water bottle, her backpack, a shovel, and of course a metal detector. She walked outside the small village and set out. She walked about four miles and took a break, but she saw something shimmer in the corner of her eye. She jumped up with excitement like a dog seeing a squirrel. She went over and saw the rubble of an old structure. And peering out of it….a hand bone!


She ran over and saw what was shimmering: an old black diamond ring. It might just be worth a fortune! Of course she HAD to put it on, and that's when mistakes were made. She could not pull it back off. It's as if it were sealed with cement.


She ran back to the village and asked the old woman, “What the heck is this!”


The old womans eyes widened. She pulled out a cross and started chanting Haitian. But that wasn't it. The ring pushed a wave of blackness toward her. The old womans eyes turned into the back of her head and turned black. And she said in English smiling, “See you soon!”


Pamate ran back to her house and tried to pry the ring off her finger with everything she had. But nothing would work. She worked at it from 3:00 PM to 9:30 PM.


After all the frightening things she went through, she went to bed crying in fear. When she woke up something was different. She was wearing old clothes with old shoes! She saw her reflection in the mirror she was another woman! She jumped out of bed and she saw a satanic circle! With a decapitated chicken and its blood formed in a circle. She stepped inside. She started to slowly float of the ground. A dark wall flooded beside her. And a face appeared in the thick gloomy blackness and it said “I'm going to get you one way or another!” Maulicha said with a smile. Then she woke up for real and sprung right up, she was panting with fear and confusion. But something stranger happened a black glow around her ring finger where the ring layed.


She grabbed a giant bandage and wrapped it around her finger hoping the dark wound would fade away soon. After she had gone through that horrible “nightmare” She went back to bed, she needed sleep for her expedition tomorrow.


First thing the next morning she sprung out of bed and put her clothes and backpack on and went outside. “Oh...My...GOD!”


The entire town was gone, but not in a good way. The villagers all lay there dead in front of Pamate’s house. In disgust, she threw up on her door and quickly ran inside and slammed it shut. She went to her attic and looked out the small circle window. The bodies spelled out a message.


“Pamate Li is quite fighty, but give up, your body will soon be rotty!” She quickly took off the giant bandage that covered her arm. It spread right to her neck. Pamate ran to the mirror she could see it, the blackness slowly work its way up her body. She was dying.


She ran outside and went back to the old burned shack that she stole the ring from. She lifted the heavy piece of rubble off the bones of Maulicha. She begged for forgiveness and said if she could she would give the ring back to her. But it did not work. Nothing happened. But there was something beside the bones. An old sack.


She saw a serrated blade, and a spell book. She looked through the pages but then right as she saw the spell to lift the curse. But it was to late she shrivelled up and died. But the evil did not go with her. Maulicha possessed her body and made her look stunning light blonde hair. Ocean blue eyes. No blemishes. She was stunning. What she did next was horrible. She sent Pamate and her soul to Hell! And when she did she burned the corpses of the towns folk and burned Pamate. And then she placed down the ring. And said the same chant she screeched hundreds of years ago:  “san an soti nan bag la pral posede nenpòt moun mani li!”