The letter H | Teen Ink

The letter H

By Rae-The-Mighty SILVER, West Valley, New York
Rae-The-Mighty SILVER, West Valley, New York

"You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequence of your choice"

How? That's always the question isn't it? How could someone do something like this? How could no one see anything happen? How did that person deserve to die like that? It is my job to answer those questions you can believe me when I say that the paperwork keeps me up at night. Looking down at the incinerated body lying  in front of my feet, I've been doing my job for what seems like forever. But today looking down at that body made my stomach churn and my teeth grind. The body that lies at my feet is not the corpse of an adult but one of a child. With her teddy bear by her side she died, only thing that makes any kind of sense is wrong place wrong time. After a long day of interrogations and chasing leads, I finally home, I look at my daughter and I wonder what I would have done if it was her laying on that pavement today. She turns and looks at me and flashes that beautiful smile of hers. So happy so full of joy and love; it was that day that I vowed to do everything in my power to protect her. 

Thsi started off with a prompt in english class that took an good but unexpected turn.