All was calm | Teen Ink

All was calm

January 14, 2016
By Rae-The-Mighty SILVER, West Valley, New York
Rae-The-Mighty SILVER, West Valley, New York
7 articles 4 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequence of your choice"


All was calm and all was bright until…the lights went out; literally it was no longer bright and it was quiet actually it was too quiet. I reached over the left hand side of my bed and grabbed my boots and headed down stairs. I turned on my flashlight and went outside to check the breaker box; “Ugh why does the power always go out when I’m home alone?” “Rustle, Rustle” I looked behind me to see if anyone was there “rustle, rustle” there it was again I quickly switched the breaker back on and started walking to the house. Before I could step onto the porch something grabbed the back of my hoodie and pulled me; before I had time to fully understand what was happening I turned around and swung my flashlight. “Pop” I hit something! I stepped onto the porch and grabbed my bat and waited.  Ouch… I think I’m bleeding” I could recognize that voice anywhere “Noah?! What the hell are you doing here? I could have killed you.” He rubbed his head and cracked a smile “You wouldn’t kill me you love too much, besides what are you going to do with a flashlight?” I couldn’t help but smile at the thought of using a flashlight as a weapon, although if I had time to think about I could probably come up with some creative ways to use it.  While standing on the porch steps “Anyway I saw the lights go out and came to make sure you were okay” he said with his face turning red. I flipped the breaker one more time and the lights were back on, we walked into the house and threw our coats and boots in the hallway. “What’s one the tonight’s agenda?  Monsters University or the conjuring? ”Neither it feels like a Patch Adams kind of night” Noah put the movie in and sat next to me on the couch, during the opening credits I felt a cool breeze coming from the front door. “You locked the door right?” “I don’t remember but I’ll double check”. Noah walked to the back door and double checked the locks, It had been a while and he hadn’t come back in. I walked onto the porch to look for him but I didn’t see him, I started to walk down the stairs and there he was. He was lying at the bottom of the stairs with an icicle lodged in his lower abdomen. I sat there cradling his head waiting for the ambulance. 


The author's comments:

I wasn't sure what direction I wanted the story to go. Most of my writting has a "dark" sense about itself and i was trying to explore writting a make shift love story.