Mentia & Dementia | Teen Ink

Mentia & Dementia

By JabrielAndrews SILVER, Killeen, Texas
JabrielAndrews SILVER, Killeen, Texas

Be the change you want to see in the world -Mahatma Ghandi

There was nothing there. The detectives stared at me with a crazed look and I made an excuse and said, “I’m sorry… I was practicing a play scenario” and they turned to continue their conversation, I asked them "isn’t it time you should leave its going to be noontime and your families might have made you lunch"and they greeted me farewell and left.

When they left I sat and wondered what happened to the body of the old man. I remembered I put his body under the planks. I was shocked with fear, wondering if the old man was alive or dead. Soon after, I strolled around the house looking around for the old man. I saw a dark shadowy figure wandering around from a distance. It looked like the old man because of his bodily stance and figure, I got closer. It was the old man, I and decided to run away and lock myself in my room. Soon after, I fell asleep all and I woke up in a completely different room. My heart pumped faster. Very fast… and there was the old man sitting in his rocking chair
Humming a tune. I yelled with a fearful voice “what’s going on? Where am I?” The old man turned and looked at me with both of his eyes, I began to get creeped out because of the pale eye the man had it really irritated me “Why couldn’t he wear an eye-patch?” I thought to myself... He got up slowly and began walking towards me slowly. I began to panic as he came closer and closer.

He began to pull out something out of his coat pocket; it had a luminous-vivid color my heart began to beat fast. I got up and dashed, looking for the nearest door... “Where is the door, where is the door!”  I shrieked. I turned around and the old man disappeared, I began to turn slowly and when I turned around completely I saw a door and I opened it and walked out and saw a beautiful view of the clouds in a pool of a vivid blue and I turned and saw a beautiful view of ranged mountains more beautiful than anything. I began to lay mesmerized by the beauty of this mystical land. I began to wander around the land as I ventured deeper into the land I began to notice a cottage with two children outside of the cottage playing hide-and-go-seek.                    

As I closed in towards the cottage the children ran inside to let their parents know that a man is coming as the father came out of the cottage. The mother stood back in the doorway as the father stood and waited for me to come towards him. I walked closer. The man yelled “Why are you on my lands? Good sir”.  “I’m sorry but if you don’t mind if it is okay if I could continue my venturing as you see you lands have much beauty” I replied. The mother came up to the father and whispered something in his ear. The father replied “Why won’t you join us for dinner?” I thought to myself “I am starving really immensely maybe I should join them” so I walked to the man and greeted him warmly as we walked back into the cottage. The mother told the children to set up the table and I saw them bring their pewter bowls and eating utensils as the children sat the materials out. They began to bombard me with questions... who are you? , where are you from? , You’re funny looking!

The mother shushed them and they looked down in shame and continued with what they were doing. I saw the mother at the cooking cauldron making what it seemed to be some type of soup. She told the children to bring up their bowls to get served and then she asked us to bring up our bowls and she put it in poured it into our bowls. We all sat at the table and began to tell about our day the mother began with hers “well today I went to the market to buy some ingredients for the soup I made and I cleaned around the house. Children what did you do?”
They replied both “today we played outside for hours and teased the livestock. Father what did you do today?” “Well today I went to do work at the lumber mill,” replied the father and everyone turned towards me but I finished up eating and sat there in silence.

All of a sudden everything began to spin around really fast and I woke up and hurried out of my bed and went to check on the old man and saw him sleep tight in bed, I was relieved that he wasn’t dead and jumped with joy, and laid back in bed “isn’t today the best day to have a dream” and fell back asleep knowing that nothing happened like the complex dream I had.