Mommy's Not There | Teen Ink

Mommy's Not There

October 23, 2015
By NightCreature BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona
NightCreature BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There’s no reason to be scared, sweetie. The evil monsters are gone. They’ll never come with Mommy here, alright?

 

Alright, mommy. I could’ve still sworn I saw a pair of eyes glaring at me; never blinking orbs that were just waiting till my mother left me to go back to sleep. Mommys are never afraid of anything like that.

I can’t wait till I’m a mommy.

I wanted to yell to my mother to come back, but the only noise that escaped from between my lips was a whisper that only I could hear inside my head, though I’d imagined that I had screamed. A chill ran up my spine, like a cold finger that slid it's way up my back, ever so slowly. Mother turned the knob softly, and with a flinch of pure horror I heard the lock click. I was too afraid to even move, though I wanted to run to the door and try to break it down.

Why would she do that to me? She knows I hate the monsters; why would she make me stay with them?
Mommy, mommy I’m scared.


Mommy.
MOMMMYYYYYY!!!

Out of nowhere, the creepy music box my aunt got for me started to play. I hated it with all my heart. Sometimes it would play the wrong notes, sometimes it wouldn’t even play. I looked forward to my closet, trying to make it sound happy in my head.


Do you ever have the feeling someone is watching you? Like someone that is cursed to always be behind you, and no matter how fast you turn, it’s still behind you? Like it’ll get closer to you the farther you are from everyone else? That’s how I feel right now. Except, instead of just behind, now it’s all around. Without warning, like a computer glitch, I saw something out of the corner of my eyes flicker. I turned my head right, where I saw it, and when I turned my head left again, I noticed the light under the door had gone out.
A light flashed on, a bright, blinding light, coming from everywhere. It was a pale blue color, I think, and then it went out. I opened my eyes.


It was softly snowing on a glassy, frozen pond, fog covering the surface. I started to shuffle forward, unaware of where it would take me. After a few minutes - though it felt like hours - I stopped. It was cold. I looked down at my feet, and saw something moving down below the pond. I started to become frightened when I realised this part was far deeper than where I started; I couldn’t even see the bottom. The small figure floated up, up, up until I could see its faint white-ish color. It still floated, and in a moment of terror I could distinguish what it was. A skull.


It hit the glassy ice with a sickening thud, and became still; horribly still. I ran away. It was only a few feet until I hit something and fell down. Once I rubbed my head enough to where it wasn’t hurting, I looked up. The slowly-spinning, life-sized figure of the ballerina on my music box. It looked normal. Until I saw its face.

Wait, that’s my-


Suddenly something tapped me on the shoulder, and in alarm I turned to find the frozen, dead corpse of…

Mommy?