Gifts of The Condemned | Teen Ink

Gifts of The Condemned

By TheMadKingHatter BRONZE, Genesee, Wisconsin
TheMadKingHatter BRONZE, Genesee, Wisconsin

There were many days when many a british naval crew had the unpleasant fortune of playing host to the infamous pirate outlaw adorned with the name Black Sam. Sam was cunning and ruthless and very much interested in the thoughts of man. On one such day he wished to entertain his curiosity so he had taken a naval ship and left seven men aboard alive demanding that they be bound and lined up on their knees.
These seven men, in the entirety of men, were arbitrary and expendable as any man is. However these men had each a lfe their own, lives that could be taken as easily, or easier, than as given. And It just happened that this ship was at the time taking a governor and his advisor to Spain to make council with a Spanish governor.
These seven men we’re bound and lined up upon their knees. First the governor, then his advisor, then the captain, and after the navigator, who was followed by an old deckhand and a young privateer, with a cabin boy on the end.
Black Sam exited his cabin with his first mate and walked up to the governor placing his steel cutlass on his shoulder.
“Give me one reason why I should let you live.”
The governor’s eyes became frantic dancing around his surroundings as if they would give him a good answer before looking at Black Sam and quickly speaking.
“Because I have much power and I could give you power as well.”
With a flick of the wrist his neck had been freed of his head.
“I am a free from the laws of men, what greater power is there than that?”
Black Sam walks up to the advisor and repeats the same question to him.
“Give me one reason I should let you live.”
Seeing that the pirate’s appetite would not be sated with power, so he made a different offer.
“Because I have great wealth and I could make you wealthy as well.”
And with a flick of the wrist the first mate had emptied his throat.
“I take as I please when I please, I have no need for your wealth.”
Black Sam turns to the captain.
“Why should I let you live?”
The captain speaks.
“I can give you my ship and my loyalty.”
And with a flick of the wrist his first mate had struck him down.
“Your ship is mine as I have taken it and there is more loyalty among thieves than diplomats.”
He turns to the navigator.
“And you.”
“I can give you my knowledge of the seas and naval ships.”
And with a flick of the wrist the first mate had gashed his stomach.
“I have not your knowledge of the seas and yet I breathe while you do not.”
Black Sam turns to the elder man.
“And what have you to offer?”
The elder man pleaded.
“I am old and sick. I shall pass soon anyway, better to not waste the steel on me.”
And with a flick of the wrist the first mate had put a hole in his skull.
“I am not a patient man.”
Now the young man.
“You sir?”
“I am young and have an entire life to live and I am fit to serve yo-”
Before he finished his body hit the ground. Black Sam finally turns to the cabin boy who was wise beyond his years.
“Why should I not kill you?”
The cabin boys words were crisp and clean, as if he knew exactly what he was going to say.
“You should kill me. I am too young and lack the strength to be a part of your crew. I know not the ways of the sea or power. I am only fit to clean the cabins and read and you need not another mouth to feed.”
“You think I should kill you?”
“No. I think you should let me live but killing me is only logical and I feel that my opinion may be slightly biased.”
Black Sam pondered this for a long time before speaking.
“You shall live. You are wise and intelligent beyond your years and will provide a valuable asset to me. You shall become my first mate and when I pass you will become the captain.”
He freed the cabin boy from his bonds and stood him up, turning to his former first mate.