The Hallway | Teen Ink

The Hallway

By RabbitStew13 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia
RabbitStew13 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia

I've got two speeds: mildly offensive and outright hostile. Your choice.

She’d kicked her out here. Alone. In the dark. Alone.
She was going to die.
Alone.
Sarah was officially bricking it, totally immobilized by fear, slowly wearing her fingernails down to ragged, chewed-up stumps. Behind her, further into the darkness, the tortured girl was still screaming bloody murder, but no amount of terrified cries would have motivated Sarah to take one step farther into that pitch-black hellhole.
Someone could have told Sarah that it was her mother being sliced into tiny teriyaki bits down there in the darkness, and she still wouldn’t have moved.
What made it even worse was that she knew she couldn’t go back into the relative safety of that little antechamber she’d shared with John and Carly, and not just because the door was locked.
Mere minutes, maybe even seconds, after Carly had backstabbed her and locked her in the dark hallway, she’d heard terrible, gut-wrenching screams coming from behind the door, coupled with the ghastly stench of burning flesh. She’d heard Carly begging her to open the door and let her out, but Carly hadn’t lifted a finger to help her, so it seemed only right for Sarah to return the favor and leave the stuck up witch to fry in her oven.
But now that it was just Sarah, feeling tiny and alone and scared in the darkness, that seemed like a really stupid idea. If she’d let Carly out, at least she would have had someone to share in her misery.
But she hadn’t let Carly out. And now she was going to die anyway.
Alone.
But… maybe not. Maybe someone would come and get her. Maybe someone else was in here with her, someone who wasn’t a backstabbing manipulative lowlife like Carly, someone who could help her get out.
Yeah. Someone else had to be here. There had to be a way out.
So she started walking, cautiously, carefully, one foot in front of the other, cautiously, carefully, her spirits slowly beginning to rise as she walked. It was all going to be okay. She was gonna get out. It was all gonna be fine.
“Hello?” she called softly, cautiously, carefully. “Hello? Anyone around?”
Nothing. No response.
So she tried again. Pretty logical, wasn’t it? If they didn’t answer the first time, they’d definitely answer if she called again, right?
“Hello? Anyo – “
A door. There was a door.
She’d found the way out.
A slightly hysterical laugh escaped her lips. She couldn’t help it. John had been turned into human chuck trying to escape, Carly had tried to kill Sarah and ended up a very crispy Carlyburger. And here she was. Alive.
And she was getting out.
Seizing the door handle, she turned around and shouted down the hall, “See you never, sucker!”
Then she threw the door open, still laughing giddily, and sprinted outside, shrieking with joy. She’d escaped. She’d escaped, she’d escaped, she’d esca –
And even before she’d noticed that the warm, nurturing sunlight she’d been waiting for was nowhere to be seen, before she’d realized that she would never again feel the sun’s pleasant rays against her skin, before she had a chance to sink to her knees, sobbing in anguish, before her heart had had a chance to plummet into her stomach –
Before she realized how screwed she was, it was over, all over. A second was all it took, a giddy, dizzy misstep in the pitch-black darkness was enough to stop her in her tracks, a strangled gasp flying out of her mouth.
The pain was quick. She felt sharp, stinging pricks, digging into her skin, like bee stings – and then, nothing, nothing but a pleasant tickling sensation as warm liquid flowed down over her skin.
It took her a second to realize that it was her blood.
She said a quick hello to Carly and John, and then she went limp, twitching pathetically as the last of her life ebbed away.

This is another little bit of my novel, right after Sarah leaves her antechamber and Carly gets fried. For those of you who wanted to know what happened to our friend after Carly threw her outside, here it is. You may not like what you find.

on Jul. 8 2014 at 4:31 am
TheOceansBlackBird SILVER, Richmond, California

One persons craziness is another persons reality
-Tim Burton

and then there's this one
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

....I really hope thats not the end cause damn thats a short novel... and of course I want to read more of it!

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

Dang! Well, that was intense - I read you're story before this, and I think this is an epic follow-up! I'm dying to know what happens next! You're an awesome writer! :)