The Phantom of the woods. | Teen Ink

The Phantom of the woods.

December 22, 2013
By Opticalillusion DIAMOND, Edenton, North Carolina
Opticalillusion DIAMOND, Edenton, North Carolina
64 articles 13 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am an artist bound only for the poet's glory....But only achieve half of the success that my dreams aspire to find, And to what do the whispers tell me of this failure...To what end to they haunt my nightmares...my eternal dark dreams...


A criminal, wanted by many. A thief, wanted only stealing coin for himself. He was thinking of taking a taxi to town of eden, but he wanted to save a bit of money. He decided to walk the distance, mainly out of greed. He walked into the forest, a small shortcut. The air was acrid with the scent of despair, And the ground became hollow as he set up his camp for the night. He soon closed his weary eyes, He was tired. He clutched his bag of money, guarding it like a hound to it’s bone. Awakened by a dreary sound in the distance, he grabbed his gun. He heard sobbing, he stayed inside the tent just incase it was some sort of trap. He kept his money in his left arm, clutched tight as he kept his right hand clutching a gun pointing at the tent entrance. The sobbing sounds soon subsided, so he returned to his rest. But rest, it was not. He slept with one eye opened the whole night.

The next morning, The thief packed up and walked on. He walked and walked, until nightfall descended once more. He set up camp, and closed one of his eyes. Still filled with a bit of hesitence due to the night before, and not knowing what made the sound. Eventually he went to sleep, but the few hours of rest came at a price. He was awakened by the sobbing once more, Fear enveloped him. He pillaged around and built up whatever courage he had and ran outside and yelled. “Whos there?” He was greeted apparition, it was a small girl. She began to laugh sinisterly, and took out a woodcutter's axe from behind her back. She charged towards him, But devoured by fear, he could do nothing. She swung the axe at his face, but suddenly disappeared as soon as she was about to pierce his skin. He took his bag and his gun and ran for his worthless life. Leaving the sanctity of the camp, He ran and ran. He ran deeper into the forest, Soon he found a small shanty of a shack. The thief figured it would be good shelter for the rest of the night.

He went into the shack and barricaded the door, Fear aggravated his actions. He slept on the cold wood floor, but he couldn’t help but feel like it would come back. Soon his fears grappled onto him once more, his eyes tricked him. He saw illusions, and heard mistakes. Until it came back, It laughed outside his door. He could hear the laughing, getting louder and louder and louder. He pulled out his gun and charged at the barricade, He broke it and then shot around outside. Paranoid and in a frenzy he continued to fire his gun until he ran out of ammunition. Then he ran once more, fearing for his life. He left the money in haste, He saw the edge of the forest. He saw the sun as he walked out of the forest, He smiled but he could have of swore as he left the forest he heard the sobbing still.