The Rising Moon | Teen Ink

The Rising Moon

October 3, 2013
By Fallenangels SILVER, Allen, Texas
Fallenangels SILVER, Allen, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Tragedy struck last night as the bodies of father Samuel Parks and his two sons John and George were found into Carter’s forest. Their bodies were torn to shreds and what was left showed clear bite marks. “This is a big deal” says police commissioner Gerald Rando. “This means we have a serious issue. This means the recent murders are all related.”
For months now, once each and every month, some unlucky camper is attacked. “This is no animal” claims forensic specialist Joshua McMerrit. “No animal will do this to this degree to a person. And last month some hair was left behind. We tested it and it was neither human nor any regional animal. So what is doing this?”
On Friday night they had gone out to go camping. They were expected to come in early on Saturday morning. When a call from a bystander came into the police, it was discovered. “I am still in shock over what has happened” says Debra Parks, the mother and wife of the victims. “We had raised these kids for 10 years and now they are gone.” She went on to say that whoever is responsible for this “They will pay.”
If anyone has any tips or clues on this brutal murderer please call 765-098-283.


“You boys be careful!” Debra Parks shouted to her husband and their two sons as they loaded up into the car. “Don’t worry mom. Nothing ever happens to normal people.” Her ten year old son George called back. Without listening to that she called back to him, “You better wear that bug spray. If you don’t I’ll skin you and your father.” This sent young George and John into a fit of laughter. They both knew that their mother would never do that. And they especially knew she wouldn’t do that to their father. George was ten and John was eight. All their lives their father Samuel had told them about hiking in the woods. They had been looking forward to this trip for a long time. They had spent all week desperately waiting for this day, when they would be able to go on the trip. They had all their bags packed and they were excited to go.

Even the father Samuel was somewhat excited. Being able to get away for a few days, away from work and stress, would be wonderful. At fifty-seven and getting old, he knew this trip would hard on him. He and Debra had decided to have kids late. They had wanted to “enjoy life” before it was ruined by loud, obnoxious kids. Samuel had lived in Newtown all of his life. Sitting nice and quiet in the mountains of Colorado, Newmantown was more than just where he lived to him; it was home. And then there was Debra. She was almost as old as Samuel, at fifty-four. She had also lived in Newmantown all of her life. They had fallen in love in high school and gotten married. You could say their honeymoon lasted several years; they traveled the world and saw it all. Then they settled back down in Newtown where they planned to raise their children.

Once the car was loaded up, Samuel slammed the trunk door shut. “Kids, Go to the bathroom before we go. We don’t want to have to stop on the side of the road.” The two boys scurried off into the house, seeing who could make it to the bathroom first. Samuel paced over to his wife. “Well, we’ve finally made it.’’ He said as he smiled and stepped in front of her. “Yes, I suppose you did.” She replied quietly. “Honey is something the matter?” Samuel asked. “Sorry, I just… I just can’t shake the feeling that something bad, something terrible is going to happen to you guys. I mean think of the murders. They all happened there at Carter’s forest.” “Honey, we’re thirty minutes away. If anything happened, which nothing will, we’d get help fast.” “Well, ok, but please, please, please don’t’ loss them or have one of them hurt.” “Yes honey, nothing’s going to happen. You have my word.” Once the worried expression that was plastered on her face melted away, a smile spread across it. “I’m going to miss you.” She said as she moved toward him. Her lips pressed against his. They held onto each other until the sound of running boys filled the air. “See ya.” He said as he let go of her. Without saying anything he moved over to the driver side of the car and opened the door. The boys climbed in.

As they pulled out of the drive way he gazed over at the house next to theirs. Joseph Carter’s house. Carter never showed his face in public unless he was reporting on something big AKA the recent murders. Then the door opened and a man walked out. He just stared coldly at the vehicle. A cold shiver ran up Samuel’s spine as he turned away and then drove off. He had grown up with Joseph. What always struck him about him has his radiant yellow eyes that gleamed in the moon.

The whole ride they would not stay in their seats. They were so excited. As he drove he noticed the clouds over taking the deep orange sky. “Oh no, looks like it’s going to rain.” He sarcastically said. The boys almost wet their pants. “No daddy! Can we please go there?” cried John. “Yeah. You’ve teased us over this so much. I want to go.” Replied George as he tugged on his seatbelt. “I don’t know kids. It looks like it’s going to get wet… really wet.” Even though he said that he knew that his has going to go camping. He had promised them. “But Daddy….PLEASE???” said the boys in unison. “Ok ok we can go.” “YAY!” they both screamed.

As they got to the edge of the camping ground, Samuel looked out at the sky again. The clouds now covered the sky except for one spot. Right where the full moon hung in the sky. A cold shiver ran down his spine. He remembered his childhood, hearing the stories of old Robby Carter dying then coming back a wolf. Every full moon he would come out and feed on the poor campers of Carter’s forest. But that was just a myth.

As they got into the camping area, Samuel began to look for camping spots. It was completely empty. “Hm, I guess no one wants to go camping this week end.” He said to himself. Soon they found the perfect spot and decided to camp there. As they got out of the car Samuel felt a chill down his spine. He felt like something was watching them. After he told the boys to get out of the car he opened up the trunk. He began to pull the camping gear out of the car. “Uhm, Daddy, I need to go to the bathroom.” John awkwardly said as he squeezed his short pudgy legs together. “Ok Johnny boy, but don’t go too far away.” John ran off into the woods. As Samuel watched him run off he said to himself, “God, that boys going to get himself killed.” He was surprised that he had said that. How could he think of such a thing? Hadn’t he promised his wife that nothing bad would happen to them?

He unpacked the tent and zipped the bag open. He pulled out the tent. He then threw it onto the front. It had been so long since he had done this. He began by stacking the tent into the front. Or was he supposed to put the poles in first? He didn’t know. Once he had staked all of the holes into the ground, he then got the poles out. He carefully placed the poles into each loop. Once the first pole was in the hole he walked to the other side to put the other one in. as he tried to stretch the pole, it began to bend too much. It snapped with a loud pop and it slashed up into his face. He reeled back from the shock. Blood dripped down his face as he released silent curses. He stumbled back to the car to get a rag. As the blood fell onto the ground, in the distance, a lone wolf’s cry sounded. His eyes widened. “John!” he screamed as he raced into the woods. As he ran he could not help but notice the bright full moon shining down on him. His hips began to hurt. By that he was reminded that he was old and could not excerpt himself like this. But this was his son. He would give his life for him, if that is what it would take. “John!” he screamed again. Worry filled his veins as he ran through the woods crying the name of his son. Just as he was about to stop to catch his breath, he heard a rustling sound. His eyes widened. Sweat collected along his skin. “Daddy?” came a small voice. His mind exploded with relief. His son was standing there in the illumination of the moon. His hand was working the zipper of his pants up. “Thank god.” Samuel finally said was he rushed over to his son. His arms wrapped around the boy as he lifted him up to his chest. “I thought I had lost you.” Samuel said as he rested him down onto the ground. “Come on. Let’s go back to the car.”

Once they got back to the camp, he knew something was amiss. It was quiet. Too quiet for a ten year old boy. Even in the little light that the moon gave out he could see a mass darkness about five yards ahead of him. His eyes widened. The sweat that was drying on his skin was renewed by more. “John… go get in the car.” He reluctantly said as he took a step forward. As the boy scurried off in the direction of the car, he closed his eyes and prayed a silent prayer. He began walking toward the mass darkness. The gravel moved under his feet. Then as he saw it his blood ran cold. His hairs stood on end. That mass darkness was his oldest son. As he stepped closer to the scene, he could not help but notice the moon reflecting off of the pool of blood. Small bits off flesh were scattered all over in the pool. In the center was what remained of George. Most of the flesh was torn from his body. His small, fragile rips poked out of the crimson carcass. His face was almost untouched. His small, round brown eyes gleamed in the moon as Samuel gazed upon the blank stare on his face. Tears began to trickle down his cheeks. The shock was beginning to settle in.

He did not know how long he stood there just staring at what remained of his son. What finally snapped him out of it was the sound of movement. The sound of four feet; or paws scrapping on the ground. A soft growl came from that sound. He could see the moon reflecting in the yellow eyes of something. As it got closer he could see better. It was like a wolf but bigger. A look of evil, not seen in other animals, was on its furry face. Blood dripped form its muzzle. Its fur was gray with a long streak of black running down the middle. Its claws dug into the earth. Its long white fangs hung from its mouth. It just stared at him. But something caught his eye. Movement in the car. “John!” he screamed. The boy had been standing on the console of the car and had been moving around. As he appeared to the creature; he was an easy target.

The wolf turned to face the car. He bent his knees and sprang into the air. Samuel stood speechless and motionless as the beast pounced on the car. John screamed. “Daddy!” the strong jaws of the beast gripped the metal of the car. With one mighty tug he ripped it away from the vehicle. Once Samuel came to his senses, he let out a scream and charged at the wolf. He lunged and sprang into the air, wrapping his arms around it. Without any effort the beast pivoted his hips and Samuel was slung far away. He let out a sharp cry as he smashed into a tree. He heard a snapping sound in his back.

As the wolf clawed his way into the car, the boy shrieked. Finally when he had successfully ripped through the car, the beast snapped his head in through the hole. In one quick movement he had the boy in his jaws and had pulled him out on the ground. George closed his eyes as the teeth dug into his shoulder. He lost all feeling. He just waited for the end.

Samuel watched as the creature pulled chunks of flesh away. He cringed. He tried to move but the pain in his back kept him from that. “George!” he silently screamed. Even talking made the pain too great. Eventually he just passed out.

When he came to, he was on his back. A sharp pain was rocketing through his spine. The beast was standing over him, staring into his eyes. For a moment he almost thought that he recognized those eyes. The wolf placed his paw over his face. The weight of it alone snapped his nose. He struggled to keep the cry on pain inside his lips. It began to press harder. The pain was unbearable. Then all that he heard was a loud snap then the lights went out. His last sight was the wolf, his piercing yellow eyes staring into his, with the moon glowing behind him.




Once police arrived they thanked Joseph Carter for making the call. As he watched them gathering up what was left of the bodies, he could not help but to smile and admire his work. Just Samuel Park’s brains splattered on the ground sent joy through his body.

As he drove home he began to try and remember the night before. Had the first boy tried to run or had he been frozen in fear?

As he walked into his home he walked over to the wall where a calendar hung. He flipped the page to the next month and wrote in one of the spaces “Full Moon” he chuckled to himself and sat done on a chair. “Each one of us has a hidden secret” he quietly said to himself, “Some more dark than others.”