How I Got Here | Teen Ink

How I Got Here

By Awsumness44 SILVER, Hanover, Pennsylvania
Awsumness44 SILVER, Hanover, Pennsylvania

“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.”
-Edgar Allan Poe

"Normal Is Calming But Maddness Is More Interesting."
-Russell Raven

All I see is darkness
All I hear is screams
All I think of is memories
One in particular
Like every movie the best part of my life
is the end
This is how I Got here

"Hurry up, it's gonna get dark soon," My mom commanded.
"Ya, ya," I said rolling my eyes at my overprotective mom. I was walking up to my friend Cody's house.
The orange leaves crunched beneath my feet as I entered the woods. If I had any idea what would happen next I would've stayed home.
I was probably halfway there when the woods filled with darkness. I heard something scamper through the leaves beside me. Suddenly I felt like I wasn't alone, and I realized my footsteps weren't the only ones I heard. I kept walking pretending not to notice.
I could hear them getting closer and closer until I heard them directly behind me. My knees shook uncontrollably. I could feel my knuckles turning white as I balled them up into fists by my side. I could hear heavy breathing behind me. I turned around ready to see anything, a horrific eight foot hairy monster, a serial killer wearing a plain white mask littered with blood, or my friend Cody yelling
"Boo," before laughing hysterically at my fear.
But I saw nothing.
I turned back around walking faster and faster until I was in an all out sprint. I could see the edge of the woods. I was so close. My fear went down slightly, but rocketed back up as I felt someone grab my leg. I hit the ground with a loud thud. I looked behind me to see a log laying on the ground I must have tripped on it. Then I saw it laying on top of the log was an axe. I turned to run but only made it about two feet before something made me look back.
I starred with horror the axe was no longer on the log. I walked over and looked around on the ground. It wasn't there. I felt something dripping on my head. I looked up to find Cody hanging by a chain from a tree branch. I gasped and jumped back. I was frozen with terror as I saw a dark figure walk towards me.
I tried to move but I couldn't. The man was right next to me. He swung his axe at me it hit me in the face. My head hit the ground, my eyes closed and I thought I was dead but a second blow to my chest told me I was horribly wrong. I opened my eyes one last time to see his scared mangled face.