Brave | Teen Ink

Brave

By FlameSeeker373 SILVER, Richmond, Texas
FlameSeeker373 SILVER, Richmond, Texas

"...Magic is just science that we don't understand yet..."

Arthur C. Clark

“One, two, three, four, five,” I slowly count to myself. Counting is my way of calming down. The Inspeakables have invaded the village. At age fifteen, the eldest of four kids, it was my job to protect the house. This included rounding up the kids and my mother and hiding them in the cellar closet, locking all windows and doors, and finally arm myself with a knife and wait the invasion out. If the Inspeakables enter the house and came down the cellar steps, I would have to fight them off. Or at least try. While I was mentally checking off the doors and windows that I had locked, I heard a floorboard creak.

My heart rate jumped to a thousand a minute, while I heard my blood pounding in my ears. Had they entered the house? Were they coming to kill us? I griped the knife tighter in my hands and crept slowly towards the door, staying in the shadows. Again I heard the floorboard creak. Slowly a soft light illuminated the room, but was quickly gone. Then light footsteps started to descend the narrow staircase. Fear rippled through me like icy, cold water. My legs tightened, getting ready to pounce.
“Danica? Are you there?”

I felt my entire body relax, as I heard my best friend Jake’s voice.
“I’m here. Everything is fine,” I say.
“Good. Max is holding down the fort for me at home, so I could come here. I just wanted to make sure you, I mean you and the kids were alright,” he says.
“Like I said, I am perfectly alright. Just waiting it out like everyone else,” I say with a sigh.
“Well now that I am here, can I stay?” Jake asks.
“That would be wonderful.”
Then at that moment a dark hooded figure came out of the shadows and said,” Well, well, well, what do we have here? A young man, come to protect his friend. Pity you won’t be alive to see the next light of day. I think you two would have made a splendid couple. But, on the other hand, I get the pleasure of killing you.”
“You will do no such thing,” Jake says, pushing me behind him.

What is going on?! Why is this Inspeakable referring to us as lovers? There is nothing romantic between Jake and I right? I mean we are just friends. Maybe he has feelings for me. As I snap back into the present, I see the Inspeakable pulling out a lethal looking dagger. It was long, with jagged edges. Near the helm I could just make out a few strange looking symbols.
“I think this will do the trick,” the Inspeakable says.

And with that he throws it into Jake’s heart. It is like it all happens in slow motion after the dagger enters Jake’s body. His face turns to shock, then he looks down at the dark red stain that is rapidly soaking his clothes. Jake slumps to the floor, his chest barely rising as he struggles to breathe. I turn to the Inspeakable, staring straight into his dark, almost violet eyes.
“I’m satisfied now. I will leave you now to have your last words. Maybe there is younger prey in the next house…,”the Inspeakable trails off in a low voice.

His voice is white noise in my ear, for I only have eyes for Jake. I hear the Inspeakable leave. Not caring if he comes back, I crouch beside Jake taking in the severity of the wound.
“Jake! Are you alright? Oh my gosh, I am so sorry…,”I splutter.
“It’s not that bad…. Just a scratch… I’ll be O.K.,” he whispers.

I push the hair out of his eyes and put his head in my lap. His face is going white, his lips turning slightly blue.
“Danica, I have to tell you something…. Something I meant to tell you a long time ago, when we were kids…. I love you. I always have,” Jake says with a faint smile that plays on the edge of his lips.

And at that moment his breath stops, his eyes roll backwards into his head, and I know that he is dead. I feel myself screaming but, I don’t hear it. Why? Why did he have to die? I give him a kiss on the temple before I blackout and faint.

This is just something I came up with on a stormy day.

PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
This is definetely an emotional piece. I would like it to be longer with more explanation. I think everything happened way too fast. But, I love your writing style and I like the ending.!

on Jul. 31 2012 at 9:45 am
these-roses GOLD, Bristol, Indiana

so many books, so little time

i like it, it could potentionaly turn into a novel if you wanted to. good job :)